MozillaZine

TB and Outlook Exchange 2-step Authentication

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
indkal

Post Posted September 18th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Our organization moved to 2-step authentication with Outlook Exchange. Now Thunderbird IMAP connections don't work. I am using TB 68.1 release. I tried the Owl add-on. But I can't send any email as TB not does not accept password of outgoing server smtp.office365.com. Is there a way to have TB work with 2-step authentication on Outlook Exchange.

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 18th, 2019, 5:50 pm

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-setu ... t-accounts

Most email providers that support two-step authentication let you configure a "app password" for a email client that does not support it. You would use the app password instead of the normal password in Thunderbird. That lets Thunderbird work with that email provider (and lets your cell-phone and tablet use two-step authentication) but doesn't provide any additional protection for Thunderbird. You'd create a app password and register that its meant for Thunderbird when logged in your Microsoft account using a browser.

indkal

Post Posted September 20th, 2019, 8:32 am

The link mentions about getting an app password. I have the Microsoft Authenticator installed on my android phone but whatever passwords it generates don't work. Our administrators are saying that Thunderbird does not support modern multi-factor authentication at this time. If TB lacks necessary protocols then I will have to move on.

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 20th, 2019, 8:41 am

Did you read the Generating new app passwords section in the previous link or did you just try the first section (How to set up two-step verification using authenticator app)?

What the Microsoft authenticator creates is NOT a "app password". A "app password" is the workaround used for email clients that do not support two-step authentication, so that you don't have to disable it for other devices.

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... -passwords

indkal

Post Posted September 20th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Unfortunately I don't have access to Additional security verification page of my Office365 account. Our admin has blocked it. That's why I tried the Owl add-on. Owl does allow display of all messages. But, the problem with Owl is that it does not allow me to send any email as the outgoing server for some reason does not recognize the authentication. I emailed Owl tech support, but never got any response.
Anyway thanks for your help.

Return to Thunderbird General