MozillaZine

Can I rename the Trash folder?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Gwaihir

Post Posted August 15th, 2019, 3:23 am

I would like to rename my Trash folder. Is this possible? I can't find any references to it in Thunderbird Help. I've looked at its properties but that won't let me change it and I'm nervous about going into the profile and changing it there.

I'm running Thunderbird 60.8.0 (32-bit) under Windows 10.
Best regards,

Gwaihir.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 15th, 2019, 4:50 am

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

Gwaihir

Post Posted August 15th, 2019, 7:47 am

Hi Dan, Thanks for responding.

It's set up as POP.
Best regards,

Gwaihir.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 15th, 2019, 8:35 am

I don't think that you'll be able to rename that folder. Thunderbird might just create another Trash folder if you did as that is one of the default folders created in any POP account installation.

Gwaihir

Post Posted August 16th, 2019, 7:43 am

That's strange. I'm running the exact same version of TB on my desktop PC running Windows 7 and somehow in the past I managed it.

Unfortunately that was around 5 years ago so no chance of remembering how I did it. Interestingly it's still named Trash in the profile.
Best regards,

Gwaihir.

mgagnonlv

Post Posted August 16th, 2019, 9:12 am

It's been a long time since I did it on a POP account. I also have Thunderbird in French, so he exact wording may vary.

If my memory is good, the process includes the following:

1. In your list of folders, right-click on the name of your trash folder and select Properties.
In the first tab (general infos), change the name of the folder.

2. Quit and restart Thunderbird (not sure if necessary at this point).

3. Right-click on the account name and select "Account Properties".
Under "Server Settings", Leave messages on server... until I delete them. Or leave them there for a few days if you also want to see recent messages on your telephone or a web interface.
Then under "Message storage", you might have to click on "Advanced" to check settings (I'm not sure – make sure anything refers to the new name of your trash folder).

4. Quit Thunderbird.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Gwaihir

Post Posted August 16th, 2019, 9:20 am

mgagnonlv wrote:1. In your list of folders, right-click on the name of your trash folder and select Properties.
In the first tab (general infos), change the name of the folder.

Hi Michel, thanks for your reply.

I did initially do as you've suggested above but although the folder name appears highlighted in the General Info it won't let me enter anything. I'm pretty sure this worked in Windows 7 so I don't know if it's a peculiarity of Windows 10.
Best regards,

Gwaihir.

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 19th, 2019, 8:54 pm

My impression is that the only built-in way to change the trash folder for a POP account is to use a version of Thunderbird for a different locale. That would use whatever trash folder the locale specifies.

You could try using the FolderFlags add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... gs/?src=ss to remove the Trash flag for the current trash folder and then set it for a different folder.

Return to Thunderbird General