MozillaZine

Outlook Express to Thunderbird (Different Computers)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
BlueCalcite

Post Posted January 2nd, 2011, 10:01 am

I'm well aware how to upgrade from Outlook Express to Thunderbird on a computer (start Thunderbird and allow it to import from OE), and how to backup and restore profiles from one Thunderbird installation to another. But I can't find any step-by-step guide for the best way to migrate from Outlook Express on one computer to Thunderbird on another computer. Specifically, I need to get the e-mail and address book from Outlook Express on an old Windows 2000 computer to Thunderbird on a new Windows 7 computer. Is there a preferred way to do this? Perhaps something as simple as exporting everything from Outlook Express to a flash drive, and then having Thunderbird be able to import the data from that flash drive?

Freee!!

Post Posted January 2nd, 2011, 10:59 am

The preferred way to do this is by installing Thunderbird on the old computer, importing everything and transfering the Thunderbird profile.

Adrian Bell

Post Posted January 2nd, 2011, 2:25 pm

If you'd prefer to export the addresses and email from OE to a flash drive the simple backup here should do the job http://www.insideoe.com/backup. Thunderbird can then import them from the files on the flash drive, including the account settings if required.

Freee!!

Post Posted January 3rd, 2011, 1:26 am

It is a lot easier to import from a working Outlook or Outlook Express installation.

Return to Thunderbird General