MozillaZine

Provider for Google Calendar, One Way Only?

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
beachesto

Post Posted November 12th, 2017, 8:53 am

I'm working on trying to sync my Lightning Calendar with Google Calendar. I've downloaded and installed Provider for Google Calendar. I've input a number of events into the Google Calendar, then used the File>New>Calendar>On Network to update Lightning with the items in Google Calendar. That all worked... once. I got the instructions from, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... e-calendar

My questions are regarding ongoing updating/syncing. I'm aware of the Synchronize button on Lightning that allows me to update Lightning from Google Calendar. Is there a way to enter items into Lightning and have those update to Google Calendar?

Thanks.

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 12th, 2017, 9:07 am

Moving to Calendar forum.

WaltS48

Post Posted November 13th, 2017, 7:18 am

I always thought that button worked both ways.

Then again, the test event I just created in Lightning, immediately appeared in the Google Calendar on the web.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

beachesto

Post Posted November 13th, 2017, 8:48 am

Interesting. I can get it to go from Google to Lightning, but not the other way around. Will try again.

EDIT: Nope. No joy. I can create something on Google and it will download to Lightning, but I can't create something in Lightning and have it update to Google. I can; however, delete an item in Lightning that was synced from Google and it will delete in Google as well. Very odd.

mgagnonlv

Post Posted November 14th, 2017, 9:44 pm

Unless you have special issues, and assuming both calendars have read/write privileges, it works both ways. However, if you experiment too quickly, there may be a few seconds offset in the process which will foul the computer. So try deleting or updating an event you haven't changed for at least 1 hour and see what happens.

Another issue that I'm aware of is that Google allows only a certain number of update requests per hour. So if you have manually synched 5 or 6 times in a row, Google may well ignore future update requests for 1-2 hours (not sure of the specifics, but I know it is an issue).
Michel Gagnon

Return to Calendar