MozillaZine

AA fonts..?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
draqear

Post Posted April 19th, 2003, 4:58 am

Howdy all,
My Moz fonts are very nicely AA but firebird isnt playin' nice with AA... or at least not at a glance. Its hard to believe that my fonts in Linux now are generally better than those on my win2k box..Wow! Suppose I could get tricky and enable AA firebirds... any suggestions on quick and dirty ways?

Thanks

alanjstr

Post Posted April 19th, 2003, 6:55 am

This is the point where I normally rip you a new one for not searching for XFT.
http://texturizer.net/firebird/faq.html#1.10
http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... hlight=xft
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Allenz

Post Posted April 19th, 2003, 7:16 am

alanjstr wrote:This is the point where I normally rip you a new one for not searching for XFT.

It sounds to me like dragear is saying his Win2K fonts are not anti-aliased. I thought XFT was only applicable in Linux. Of course, I could be wrong.

alanjstr

Post Posted April 19th, 2003, 7:29 am

Looks like I have to read more carefully. No one ever talks about AA on Windows :-P I have no idea how Windows even handles fonts. I just tell it fonts and it goes. I thought the AA stuff wasn't until XP or something, though.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

seb

Post Posted April 19th, 2003, 7:47 am

wXP has AA fonts. I don't think w2k ever had.

spammich

Post Posted April 19th, 2003, 8:24 am

Every version of Windows since Win98 has had font anti-aliasing. They call it "font smoothing". Even Win95 users could have font smoothing if they installed the Plus! pack. The only thing new XP adds is <em>sub-pixel</em> anti-aliasing, which is designed for LCDs but works great on most CRTs also.

There's no application specific settings, it works fine for me in Pheonix on Win2K and XP. I think it works on all fonts that are rendered with the normal windows rendering methods that apps call (which should mean it works in every app). The only apps that avoid these methods are programs like Photoshop. When you insert text into your image Photoshop renders the text manually and you can turn on or off different types of antialiasing.

miken32

Post Posted April 19th, 2003, 12:58 pm

To answer the original post, go to your display properties and select the "Effects" tab and make sure there's a check beside "Smooth edges of screen fonts." I believe this is disabled by default.

Return to Firefox Builds