MozillaZine

Bug-driven Releases?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Desmodromic

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 9:57 pm

Bummerage. After reading about "bug-driven" releases, I was a little bummed when I checked the Phoenix roadmap and queried on the 0.6 release only to find that a bulk of the bugs and all the new features due for 0.6 had simply been moved to 0.7.

Is this normal? I've been looking forward to the 0.6 release because of some of the bugs to be addressed. Admittedly, I'm a current 0.5 user and I can't say that any current bugs plague me at much (a couple have here and there), but I'm also a fan of the project and I like to see those bugs squashed, and I've lauded the merits of "bug-driven" releases to others. So it's a small let-down to turn the corner only to find that a few bugs have been moved to 0.7.

Why is this? Is the clamoring for 0.6 so loud that bugs originally thought suitable for 0.6 were found politically incorrect for 0.6? Or is there some real administrative reason? I would hate to see Mozilla developers cave to version pressure. Wouldn't there have to be an open source marketing department for that? Sellzilla?

alanjstr

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 11:08 pm

Asa, who is doing QA, went through some of the bugs tonight. Releases are bug driven. Bugs are not release driven. It is up to the devs for how important they find certain bugs to be and when they should be fixed by. With more and more people whining about 0.6 not being out, this helps get 0.6 out the door faster. The bugs will still get fixed.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Desmodromic

Post Posted April 12th, 2003, 1:41 am

alanjstr wrote:Releases are bug driven. Bugs are not release driven.

Semantics, "all squares are rectangles not all rectangles are squares", blah, blah, blah. Basically, if what you say is accurate, then I was dead on in saying that bugs originally deemed appropriate for 0.6 have been shuffled to 0.7 for political reasons. Quiet the masses.

I had never considered that before in an open-source context, the idea of political versions. Because when you set a target, then move the target because of market-related pressure, whether that pressure be exerted in an open-source project or a closed-source commercial project, you've changed the context of the meaning of "version". Many software companies deal with that by having different version numbers or designation for marketing and engineering, e.g., Windows XP vs. 5.1.2600, but what does an open-source project do? Well, I guess one does this. They just do it and say well, there you go, now shuddup about 0.6.

Weird.

djst

Post Posted April 12th, 2003, 4:58 am

Desmodromic wrote:Semantics, "all squares are rectangles not all rectangles are squares", blah, blah, blah. Basically, if what you say is accurate, then I was dead on in saying that bugs originally deemed appropriate for 0.6 have been shuffled to 0.7 for political reasons. Quiet the masses.

A project with no new release after nearly six months will simly rot and disappear. A 0.6 release is not only important for political reasons, it's crucial for the health of this project. Therefore, many of the bugs originally targetted for 0.6 have been pushed. 0.6 is still a huge step over 0.5, much more important than 0.5 was for 0.4.

Chris Cook

Post Posted April 12th, 2003, 9:33 am

Desmodromic wrote:Is this normal?

Due to the open nature of the mozilla project and the collaboration by volunteers, many (though not all) bugs (which could be an actual bug or just an enhancement request) are submitted without a particular milestone in mind. As far as I know, these bugs are automatically targetted for the next milestone. Obviously it is quite impossible to include every bug in the next milestone release and it is difficult to place a bug into the appropriate milestone until the project gets closer to the milestone release.

It is BECAUSE of the open nature of the project that this works and is deemed acceptable. If this were a business driven project, then bugs and features WOULD appear in a particular version because business would require it.

As far as I know, relocating bugs to a more appropriate milestone (when it is known) is quite normal and is not just peculiar to the Phoenix project.

miken32

Post Posted April 12th, 2003, 11:19 am

It looks to me like most of the bugs moved up to 0.7 were rfe and other non-important things. The big bugs (incomplete downloads, broken bookmarks) are still targeted for 0.6. I think the only important bug marked for 0.7 is the popup blocker bustage.

PS: If anyone finds Phoenix creating a "mozilla" folder is really an important issue to them, I apologize :)

alanjstr

Post Posted April 12th, 2003, 11:37 am

The releases are "bug driven" as opposed to "date driven" like Microsoft products. That means that just because we hit that 'date' on the roadmap doesn't mean a milestone will be released (thus 0.6 is a wee bit behind).
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Aqua.

Post Posted April 12th, 2003, 7:05 pm

I believe what has been done is keep the actual bugs targeted for .6, while bumping features and minor annoyances to the next version.

The project has definitely improved enough over .5 to rate a new point.

What I would like them to do in the future when they encounter a stable build is to releast it as 0.6.1 or something. That will keep the momentum for the project up in the external world.

galapogos

Post Posted April 13th, 2003, 9:17 am

So what about the major bugs that aren't targetted for any milestone in the forseeable future(up to 0.9)? Will they not be a priority? Will they not be fixed? There are a couple of really major bugs that I don't see targetted at any milestone at all...

Return to Firefox Builds