MozillaZine

How to update phoenix night-builds without loose extensions

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
hamacker

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 9:40 am

Hi everybody and developers,

I'am using phoenix browser and I like so much that!
But every time that I update within last version (night-builds) I loose All extension that I have installed.

Anybody knows how to protect that futures updates to dont overwrite my phoenix configuration ?

Maybe there are some important file to protect or backup, and if I loose configuration then I restore that file and my configuration go back.

Thanks a lot,

Hamacker from Brazil.

cdn

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 9:47 am

keep your extensions on a lead ? : )

to not lose extensions it is advisable to download the xpi and install it afterwards

alternatively petition the extension writer to make their extension(s) install to the profile

old Neil Parks

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 9:57 am

cdn wrote:alternatively petition the extension writer to make their extension(s) install to the profile

The only extension I use that ever installed itself to the profile was a March version of Googlebar. I didn't have any problem with it, but apparently other users did. The developers decided that storing extensions in the profile isn't ready for prime time, and replaced it with one that lives under the Ph main directory.

old Neil Parks

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 10:00 am

hamacker wrote:Hi everybody and developers,

I'am using phoenix browser and I like so much that!
But every time that I update within last version (night-builds) I loose All extension that I have installed.

Anybody knows how to protect that futures updates to dont overwrite my phoenix configuration ?

Hamacker from Brazil.

When you upgrade to a new Ph nightly, you will have to reinstall your extensions, but you may not necessarily lose your configuration. Although extensions themselves are stored with the Ph executable, configurations are stored under your profile.

So if you reinstall the extension but haven't changed your profile, any options you originally selected for the extension is probably still in effect.

seb

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 10:04 am

All-in-One extension installs itself in a profile or in the Phoenix dir, I think.

PiGuy

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 11:40 am

Digger 0.5.2 ends up in the profile, too.

AIO resides all by itself in the 'Chrome' directory, while Digger resides with all the themes in the 'chrome' directory. This doesn't seem right.

What is this whole deal with extensions having to worry about where they're installed, anyways? Phoenix should put the .jar file in a directory chosen by the user (either the global chrome directory, their local one, or wherever). Is there a reason why it doesn't do this?

cdn

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 12:41 pm

phoenix / mozilla (whatever) would need to be setup to search for extensions in yet another directory

installed globally all users (profiles) of Px can use an extension

installed locally to a profile, only that profile can use it, also gets past the problems of nightlies

extensions have "traditionally" installed globally, because until early March that was the only route

[edit]

just noticed what PiGuy was on about, some install scripts are installing to profile/Chrome rather than profile/chrome
had PiGuy stated this, it would have been clearer (to me at least)
Last edited by cdn on April 12th, 2003, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawks5999

Post Posted April 11th, 2003, 1:45 pm

i've been using wheerdam's nightly install script and it keeps my extensions in-tact. this includes compact menu, TBE, Prefbar2.2.2, nukeimage and text links.

Download here and try it out.
http://haarg.port5.com/phoenix-latest.cmd

read more:
http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8568

nilson

Post Posted April 12th, 2003, 10:28 am

If you are just going from one nightly build to another, as long as they are within a week or so of each other you should be safe just unzippping the new one over the old one. That is what I do every now and then. Of your builds are a long time apart you should delete the directory, then unzip the new Phoenix.

hamacker

Post Posted April 14th, 2003, 10:53 am

Ok. I'am not loosing configuratioon and defaults extensions, only extension after-install are loose.
Today, my method to install is only unzip phoenix-build overwritting old phoenix folder.

To workaround this problem, I save all .jar files (extensions) on my disk and I tried to File|Open to test if can I install again without download over internet (like mozilla), but its fail too.

Thanks a lot,

hamacker

Post Posted April 14th, 2003, 11:00 am

Excusa-me, is not .jar files, I would like to say .xpi files :)

I used night build all day, 'cause every day have one problem that will be resolved day after :)

Like a bookmarks (Import/Export) every day I get be surprise if will be run or not. :)

Thanks a lot again,

jazzy

Post Posted April 14th, 2003, 11:09 am

hamacker wrote:Excusa-me, is not .jar files, I would like to say .xpi files :)

I used night build all day, 'cause every day have one problem that will be resolved day after :)

Like a bookmarks (Import/Export) every day I get be surprise if will be run or not. :)

Thanks a lot again,

This is very off-topic, but I couldn't resist...

Where are you from? 'cause you write the way "The Godfather" speakes :)
Jazzy

hamacker

Post Posted April 14th, 2003, 1:25 pm

Ok.
I'am brazilian, english is not my native language.
I need to search in my dictionaries to remember whats mean "Godfather"...
maybe your "Godfather" is a great guy :)

seb

Post Posted April 14th, 2003, 2:59 pm

The Godfather is the chief of the mob/Mafia (gangs, stuff like that).

Remember the three movies with Al Pacino in the 80s? (the Godfather trilogy)

Return to Firefox Builds