MozillaZine

Questions about building phoenix...

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Olli

Post Posted April 6th, 2003, 10:44 pm

Hey all, I've been building my own phoenix with GTK2,XFT and X-Print support for about a week now and they all work great.
Yet I still have a few questions, merely I want to do it the right way and then make a comprehensive toturial about it.

1. If I package my build with:
make MOZ_PKG_FORMAT="BZ2" PKG_BASENAME="phoenix-i686-pc-linux-xft-gtk2.`date +%Y%m%d`" MOZILLA_BIN="\$(DIST)/bin/phoenix-bin"

I get a nice: phoenix-i686-pc-linux-xft-gtk2.20030406.tar.bz2-like archieve, which is fine. Yet when unpacked it comes with a 'mozilla' directory. How to make it that it's just like the official builds in a 'phoenix' directory? I now unpack it, rename and repack it again, but surely there is an easier way?

2. If i update the source from cvs and run gmake -f client.mk build will it recompile the changed stuff and update the build date in about: when I package it? Cause I've tried this before and I saw no changes....

3. How to make RPM packages from your phoenix source. I saw that they once have started with a MOZ_PKG_FORMAT="RPM" but that it's still not implemented.

nrthomas

Post Posted April 7th, 2003, 4:24 am

For the first question: Add MOZ_PKG_APPNAME="phoenix" to your make line. Dig in mozilla/xpinstall/package/Makefile for more options.

For the second: I think the changes are automatically compiled in and the build date updated if you go
gmake -f client.mk checkout
gmake -f client.mk build
or just
gmake -f client.mk
There might be some timezone trickery to consider on the build date. How do you do your cvs checkout ?

The third: Haven't ever done this, sorry.

Olli

Post Posted April 9th, 2003, 12:55 am

Well usually I just unpack the sources and then:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot checkout mozilla/browser mozilla/toolkit

I noticed btw that doing a gmake -f client.mk checkout is unbelievably slow for some reason, so my question is:
Is there any difference between doing a:

gmake -f client.mk checkout

and

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot checkout mozilla/browser mozilla/toolkit ??

nrthomas

Post Posted April 9th, 2003, 2:51 am

There is a big difference between those two commands. The gmake command will get everything needed for Phoenix, which includes the SeaMonkeyAll module (aka the trunk for the mozilla suite). Your manual checkout command will get only the Phoenix specific bits, ie mozilla/browser and mozilla/toolkit. So you'd miss out on any fixes on the mozilla trunk, but also the regressions - on the whole you should do it because it's the vast majority of the backend of Phoenix.

As for the slowness there is a bug open on this (<a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71742">#71742</a>), and it's partly the size of SeaMonkeyAll that is the problem. The bug mentions the fast-update command, which pulls just the files that have changed (explicitly using the <a href="http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?treeid=default&module=SeaMonkeyAll&branch=HEAD&branchtype=match&dir=&file=&filetype=match&who=&whotype=match&sortby=Date&hours=2&date=day&mindate=&maxdate=&cvsroot=%2Fcvsroot">checkin list</a> rather than relying on CVS to work it out). So that would be gmake -f client.mk fast-update, then the build command to compile. I haven't had a chance to try that yet but haven't come across any reason not to use it.

cdn

Post Posted April 9th, 2003, 5:03 am

with the Phoenix bits in .mozconfig, be it in ~ or /<src path>/mozilla/

MOZ_PHOENIX=1 et al

make -f client.mk will get cvs updates for Mozilla and Phoenix

as for build date ...

I run :

echo '#define PRODUCT_VERSION "'`date +%Y%m%d`'"' > layout/build/gbdate.h && make -f client.mk

Olli

Post Posted April 9th, 2003, 10:43 am

Heya, I've been trying the fast-update option but at a certain point it comes back with these messages:

cvs update: No CVSROOT specified! Please use the `-d' option
cvs [update aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.
error while updating all/mozilla/toolkit
last_time not defined

error while updating all/mozilla/browser
last_time not defined

So it's not updating the toolkit and browser (phoenix)???

I have the Phoenix bits in .mozconfig

alanjstr

Post Posted April 9th, 2003, 12:59 pm

Olli wrote:Heya, I've been trying the fast-update option but at a certain point it comes back with these messages:

error while updating all/mozilla/toolkit
last_time not defined

error while updating all/mozilla/browser
last_time not defined

So it's not updating the toolkit and browser (phoenix)???

I have the Phoenix bits in .mozconfig

You either need to do an export of CVSROOT, or do cvs -d "CVSROOT" ...
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Return to Firefox Builds