MozillaZine

Build Suggest?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Goldzilla

Post Posted April 7th, 2003, 7:35 am

Vomit wrote:I don't get how it could be insufficient memory, too many programs running, etc. Since the old Phoenix and every other program I have will happily run with dozens of things open at once, whereas new Px installs can't have anything running at all.
I regularly search for spyware and use norton utilities to keep my registry clean. The registry is really the only suggestion that might be it. I'll check it tomorrow.

I've been using Phoenix for quite some time and haven't noticed performance degrading over time. I run with XP Home, 1 Ghz, 1 GB on a laptop and have never had anything in the way of performance problems with Phoenix except for memory leak problems which I believe are resolved now.

What is your hardware setup?

Dunderklumpen

Post Posted April 7th, 2003, 8:21 am

Vomit: as I said - I was trying to make some suggestions and offer some solutions. Things to take a closer look at :-) I have no information about your system, hardware etc. etc. and can not come much closer than suggestions and guessings due to that.

PiGuy

Post Posted April 7th, 2003, 8:44 am

How fast is your chip? I have an Xft-enabled 3/15 nightly on Linux, and on my 950MHz Duron it eats up 100% CPU time for a few seconds while rendereing pages. Phoenix becomes unresponsive to everything during that period; it gets worse as time goes on (as does memory usage).

Goldzilla

Post Posted April 7th, 2003, 9:25 am

PiGuy wrote:How fast is your chip? I have an Xft-enabled 3/15 nightly on Linux, and on my 950MHz Duron it eats up 100% CPU time for a few seconds while rendereing pages. Phoenix becomes unresponsive to everything during that period; it gets worse as time goes on (as does memory usage).

I tried a few pages and my CPU percentage didn't come anywhere near 100% on some testing. It may be that you have some pages with a lot of heavy duty images or maybe some plugins. In the cache memory leak bug that I filed a while ago, I found out that there are some problems with one of the extensions that I'm using that results in considerable memory usage on Moz/Phoenix but I've turned off the offending options and Phoenix is now purring like a kitten. It's only using about 60 MB (my cache is set to 50 MB) instead of about 200 MB that it would take up in the past by now.

Someone else found that there is a problem with memory leaking when you do a lot of Save As operations. He's not using any extensions and he's using Mozilla. It appears that cache entries get higher reference counts and don't get flushed when the cache limit is hit. This results in Mozilla using more and more and more memory for him. I don't save a lot of stuff so I haven't seen this particular problem.

I'm using a Pentium P3 1Ghz, no page file, 1 GB ram and regular audio/video boards on a laptop [I mention this as some systems come with integrated video and audio which can put a big strain on the CPU]. Running XP home with lots of other applications too.

Vomit

Post Posted April 8th, 2003, 11:08 am

Today, I uninstalled my old Phoenix, Mozilla, and Netscape 6.2. I made sure my Java Virtual Machine was up to date (it was), I removed all the left-over crap from my registry and application data folder, and finally set the paging file size to by system set (although it only added 1Mb).

Installed 20030320 and same hassles. It runs a tiny bit faster but still uses up all the processor time (making listening to music increasingly annoying with all the stuttering and stopping). I uninstalled it and reinstalled old Phoenix and it runs a tiny bit faster too. So, although my machine has been optimised slightly, still not found the problem yet.

My system specs:
600Mhz Athlon,
256Mb RAM,
100Gb+ HDD (split over 2 HDDs),
running WinXP Pro on main partition (SuSE 8.1 on second partition).

If any more information would be useful, I'd be happy to provide it.

Goldzilla

Post Posted April 8th, 2003, 11:13 am

Vomit wrote:Today, I uninstalled my old Phoenix, Mozilla, and Netscape 6.2. I made sure my Java Virtual Machine was up to date (it was), I removed all the left-over crap from my registry and application data folder, and finally set the paging file size to by system set (although it only added 1Mb).

Installed 20030320 and same hassles. It runs a tiny bit faster but still uses up all the processor time (making listening to music increasingly annoying with all the stuttering and stopping). I uninstalled it and reinstalled old Phoenix and it runs a tiny bit faster too. So, although my machine has been optimised slightly, still not found the problem yet.

My system specs:
600Mhz Athlon,
256Mb RAM,
100Gb+ HDD (split over 2 HDDs),
running WinXP Pro on main partition (SuSE 8.1 on second partition).

If any more information would be useful, I'd be happy to provide it.

How about dropping the priority of Phoenix in the Task Manager? That should fix your music problem.

Return to Firefox Builds