MozillaZine

A Mac OSX Phoenix

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
spinlock

Post Posted March 27th, 2003, 1:21 pm

I just bought myself a new iBook and I'm now faced with what to do about a browser. I use Phoenix at work and home (Linux&Win) but now my new, cute computer will be Phoenix-less.

From what I know of XUL, there isn't any <b>technically</b> valid reason that an OSX Phoenix doesn't yet exist.

My questions are:

1) To the Phoenix developers: have you reconsidered your stance on not building an OSX Phoenix
2) To the general development community (with more XUL knowledge than myself): what would it take to build Phoenix for OSX? *

* yes, I would be willing, but I'd like to get others' impressions on the project

seb

Post Posted March 27th, 2003, 1:33 pm

There is no technically valid reason, agreed.
But the developers want to support only a few platforms for now. More platforms means more bugs to fix.

Maybe official OSX builds will pop up someday, but I guess it won't be anytime soon.

axs

Post Posted March 27th, 2003, 2:04 pm

Hi there,
welcome to the Club (of IBook-Owners ;) ). In Fact there _is_ already an OSX-Version of Phoenix, but its not "official" and the Author itself calls it Experimental. You can get it here

http://kmgerich.com/

Altough it runs not as smooth as the Windows-Version, it is usable and many XUL-Extensions (i.e. Preferences-Toolbar) work with it.

On the Mac I usually use "Camino" a project similar to Phoenix (and one the reasons why there is no "official" Version of PX as I know), but because its a Cocoa-Application my beloved Extensions i use on PX and Mozilla can't be used on it.

"Safari" is also a nice Browser, though the Version from the Apple-Site has got no tabbed Browsing, but the Developer-Versions have.

spinlock

Post Posted March 27th, 2003, 2:10 pm

axs wrote:Hi there,
welcome to the Club (of IBook-Owners ;) ). In Fact there _is_ already an OSX-Version of Phoenix, but its not "official" and the Author itself calls it Experimental. You can get it here

http://kmgerich.com/

Hey cool! Thanks axs, I didn't know about this. I'll take a look at this... great place to start.

goodben

Post Posted March 27th, 2003, 2:16 pm

I've been wanting to try and build one, but I keep crashing during the configure script. I'm pretty sure it's not a Phoenix-specific problem, my Mac has problems with the Mozilla build process.

It crashes when I get to the "Checking ld for archive flags" part of the script. I'm running OS 10.2.4. ANyone have any ideas for getting around this?

flii

Post Posted March 28th, 2003, 12:24 pm

i remember being told or hearing somewhere along the way that the reason phoenix isn't built for mac is that "chimera is already a good browser for mac. we don't want to compete with chimera". that's not an exact quote or anything, but that's the gist of the reason i remember.

Chris Cook

Post Posted March 28th, 2003, 7:40 pm

Flii wrote:i remember being told or hearing somewhere along the way that the reason phoenix isn't built for mac is that "chimera is already a good browser for mac. we don't want to compete with chimera". that's not an exact quote or anything, but that's the gist of the reason i remember.

Chimera has been renamed Camino... :)

flii

Post Posted March 29th, 2003, 1:29 am

Chris Cook wrote:Chimera has been renamed Camino... :)

lol are you serious? why must they rename everything. omg. well, shows you how much i keep up with the other products.

spinlock

Post Posted March 31st, 2003, 2:37 am

Flii wrote:chimera is already a good browser for mac. we don't want to compete with chimera.

since when has that excuse held any water?
Shouldn't it follow that "Mozilla is already a good crowser for mac. we don't want Phoenix to compete with Mozilla."

Hey: 'asa', who are you to play God? :)

<b>Build 'em all--let the users sort 'em out</b>

word.

michaell

Post Posted March 31st, 2003, 5:16 am

spinlock wrote:
Flii wrote:chimera is already a good browser for mac. we don't want to compete with chimera.

since when has that excuse held any water?
Shouldn't it follow that "Mozilla is already a good crowser for mac. we don't want Phoenix to compete with Mozilla."

Hey: 'asa', who are you to play God? :)

<b>Build 'em all--let the users sort 'em out</b>

I imagine it's a combination of that reason and the fact that it's more effort. If they decide to build it "officially", then it means they have to do the extra work to make sure it builds and runs - they don't want to be bothered with that when others are doing it for Camino already. But it's all open source, if someone else wants to build Phoenix on OS X (as indeed they have), nothing is stopping them.

goodben

Post Posted March 31st, 2003, 4:14 pm

michaell wrote:I imagine it's a combination of that reason and the fact that it's more effort. If they decide to build it "officially", then it means they have to do the extra work to make sure it builds and runs - they don't want to be bothered with that when others are doing it for Camino already. But it's all open source, if someone else wants to build Phoenix on OS X (as indeed they have), nothing is stopping them.

The weird thing is that the Windows analog to Camino/Chimera isn't Phoenix, it's KMeleon and the Linux version is Galeon, I suppose. All three of these are "Native" Browsers, Phoenix isn't.

flii

Post Posted April 1st, 2003, 10:52 am

please don't quote only those two sentences without also quoting the part where i say it was something like that, according to my admittedly faulty memory.

thenightfly42

Post Posted April 3rd, 2003, 7:52 am

If you look into Ted's Phoenix Checkins, you will see that the official OS X Phoenix is on the way. I am very excited.

alanjstr

Post Posted April 3rd, 2003, 8:12 am

If you read the new Mozilla Roadmap, or any of the articles about it, you would see that OS X will be officially supported by Mozilla 1.5.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Kevin

Post Posted April 5th, 2003, 1:46 pm

A 4/4/2003 build is available <a href="http://www.kmgerich.com/misc.html">here</a>

Return to Firefox Builds