MozillaZine

Suddenly unable to install update with error indicating inco

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Wolf_22

Post Posted September 11th, 2019, 7:42 am

(Mods / admins: if this isn't the right place to post this, feel free to move it. My thought was that since it involved updating to a different build, it should be placed here but if I was wrong, please forgive me.)

So I have a strange one... I'm using Firefox Developer Edition and I'm currently on version 69.0b15 (64-bit). My Windows operating system shows Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit...

Here's the problem: when I go into "Help" and then click on "About" to apply any available updates from the Aurora channel, I'll click on "Apply Updates" only to see if constantly twirl the little twirly icon around but never finish. The update I'm trying to install is 70.0b5.

If I go into Computer Management / Windows Logs / Application, I can see entries being lodged for the following:

The program or feature "\??\C:\Users\<My User Account>\AppData\Local\Firefox Developer Edition\updater.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Can someone please help me here? Is this an issue with the updater.exe being designed for a 32-bit system? I would've thought that the updater.exe would be the appropriate architecture if the about information is showing 64-bit... I have a Windows 10 system sitting on the same computer desk right next to this workstation and it updates fine. I've also tried to update using elevated privileges, different compatibility modes (i.e. - running the updater.exe for Windows 7), etc.--nothing seems to fix this that I can tell. Would it be possible to copy-and-paste then use the updater.exe from a working installation of Developer Edition? (I guess not because I just tried it.)

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Mark12547

Post Posted September 11th, 2019, 10:03 am

On occasion when I see some auto-update issue, I backup the profile directory, I uninstall Firefox (but if asked, do NOT delete user files associated with Firefox), then grab the full installer and do an install using a full installer. If you did NOT delete user files, the profile(s) should still be present after the install, though the shortcuts might have been replaced.

Full installers are at: https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ (the drop-down choices let you pick Firefox / Firefox Beta / etc., which platform, and which language).

I suspect some tweaks made in the install process may have caused the problems you are experiencing in jumping from Developer 69.0b15 to 70.0b5 (the current), but at the moment I can't pinpoint what it may have been. A full uninstall and the full installer should help.

The worst case might be to uninstall all Firefox versions, delete any Firefox or Mozilla directories in c:\program files and c:\program files (x86), including Mozilla Maintenance Service, then use full installers to install the latest versions of Firefox for the channels (Release, Developer, etc.) that you want. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. (If you have Thunderbird, obviously you shouldn't delete Mozilla Thunderbird in the C:\Program Files (x86) directory.)

Wolf_22

Post Posted September 11th, 2019, 11:44 am

Can you think of a way to test the update functionality despite using a fresh install if I download and install from that link? Because the whole point is to fix that. As far as I can tell, Firefox Developer itself works fine--just not the "Apply Update" thing.

Return to Firefox Builds