MozillaZine

Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Mouse5
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney Australia

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 5:18 pm

mightyglydd wrote:
The Tinsmith wrote:I have not used it myself

Evidently x 2, nightly 'testers' who don't 'test' but troll threads like this.

i do enough Testing as it is, im sure i'll find Bugs in 57 when it hits stable channel

smsmith
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 19446
Joined: December 7th, 2004, 8:51 pm
Location: Indiana

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 8:17 pm

The AutoFill discussion is getting a little off the main thread of this topic. Shall I split it, or can we get back to the topic on hand, flogged to death as it is...
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Mouse5
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney Australia

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 9:46 pm

smsmith wrote:The AutoFill discussion is getting a little off the main thread of this topic. Shall I split it, or can we get back to the topic on hand, flogged to death as it is...

split it or perhaps this Thread needs to be ReNamed again to " Changes in Firefox 57 " so its not just Extensions

Hairyge3K
 
Posts: 2
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 1:48 am

Post Posted September 8th, 2017, 4:06 am

Hello,

Thanks guys for your posts regarding autofill.

I've finally switched to Waterfox, latest version, and all of my extensions are working.

Regarding AutoFill extension, the only replacement I have found is FillForm. It works beautifully for me (even if it doesn't have a lot of options) and I doubt It would work for every website.

avada
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted September 8th, 2017, 6:48 am

ICQ5 wrote:surely there will have to be a opt out of that Feature ? i dont like being forced to use an Autofill crap


I'd want an auto-login feature instead. I hate the traditional idiocy of the internet that you need to register an account on every menial website and remember username password.

WaltS48

User avatar
 
Posts: 3476
Joined: May 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post Posted September 8th, 2017, 8:30 am

avada wrote:
ICQ5 wrote:surely there will have to be a opt out of that Feature ? i dont like being forced to use an Autofill crap


I'd want an auto-login feature instead. I hate the traditional idiocy of the internet that you need to register an account on every menial website and remember username password.


Mozilla tried to get something like that adopted across the Web, but the project died for lack of interest. I can't remember the name of it.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Virtual_ManPL

User avatar
 
Posts: 1914
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 5:52 am

Post Posted September 8th, 2017, 8:57 am

WaltS48 wrote:
avada wrote:
ICQ5 wrote:surely there will have to be a opt out of that Feature ? i dont like being forced to use an Autofill crap
I'd want an auto-login feature instead. I hate the traditional idiocy of the internet that you need to register an account on every menial website and remember username password.
Mozilla tried to get something like that adopted across the Web, but the project died for lack of interest. I can't remember the name of it.
The name was Mozilla Persona.
Virtualfox persona

Are you ready for deprecation of XUL & XBL & XPCOM extensions? Not?! Try Firefox ESR

jhaber3
 
Posts: 265
Joined: January 16th, 2005, 9:04 am

Post Posted September 8th, 2017, 9:27 am

Just noticed that Lastpass, which I added the other day for the possibility that I'd have to switch to Chrome and lose my passwords saved in Firefox, is still another "legacy." Since it deletes saved passwords when it is done importing, I'd thus lose all my passwords in Firefox for good in November. Can I say again how disastrous a change this loss of add-ons is proving? What is Firefox trying to prove?

avada
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted September 8th, 2017, 10:18 am

WaltS48 wrote:
avada wrote:
ICQ5 wrote:surely there will have to be a opt out of that Feature ? i dont like being forced to use an Autofill crap


I'd want an auto-login feature instead. I hate the traditional idiocy of the internet that you need to register an account on every menial website and remember username password.


Mozilla tried to get something like that adopted across the Web, but the project died for lack of interest. I can't remember the name of it.


Though stuff like this would be good. (But eternally hindered by the reluctance of even large organizations to support it.)

I meant something to automatize logins. Not a form fill crap like this but logging in automatically in the background. (Maybe even before the particular page gets loaded)

Granted, it might be complicated to implement.

Mouse5
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney Australia

Post Posted September 9th, 2017, 4:24 pm

that'd be a bad idea IMO, not everyone wants to be logged in automaticallyt on websites, write your Usernames/passwords down somewhere if you cant remember them

probably would be a security issue if someone hacked you an could gain access to all websites you were automatically loggerd into

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted September 10th, 2017, 12:29 am

if someone hacked you

does not matter ;) if hacked i would drop a trojan with keylogger and clipboard control.

i dont like the new auto-formfill thus i have it deleted. for sensible pages i never save anything.

LoveMyFoxy

User avatar
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: December 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: USA

Post Posted September 10th, 2017, 12:56 am

I have a factor concerning switching browsers that maybe no one here thought of: Support.

I've been here over 15 years, and I've used many other sites to support my other software. Most of us users are not in IT, and although it has its faults, this site is the best place to get browser support that we can understand (well, most of us can understand most of it.)

I don't know what support is out there for Vivaldi, Pale Moon or some of the lesser browsers. Just for fun I installed Waterfox, and looked for support. I found a Reddit forum, enough said. #-o SeaMonkey and any new iteration of Fx will get support here, and that makes a big difference to me. I'm staying with ESR till Mozilla decides what to convert and what to toss.
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64-bit, 6GB RAM /FF 52ESR 64/ Thunderbird 52 / MS Sec. Essent./ Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

LoveMyFoxy

User avatar
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: December 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: USA

Post Posted September 10th, 2017, 1:02 am

jhaber3 wrote:Just noticed that Lastpass, which I added the other day for the possibility that I'd have to switch to Chrome and lose my passwords saved in Firefox, is still another "legacy." Since it deletes saved passwords when it is done importing, I'd thus lose all my passwords in Firefox for good in November. Can I say again how disastrous a change this loss of add-ons is proving? What is Firefox trying to prove?


I believe LastPass will convert. They have many millions of users. For security, I exported all my entries from LP into the free version of Dashlane. Any new ones I enter in both programs. Dashlane is fine whether LP converts or not. And there are other password managers that you can export your PW's to.
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64-bit, 6GB RAM /FF 52ESR 64/ Thunderbird 52 / MS Sec. Essent./ Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

avada
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted September 10th, 2017, 1:33 am

ICQ5 wrote:that'd be a bad idea IMO, not everyone wants to be logged in automaticallyt on websites, write your Usernames/passwords down somewhere if you cant remember them

So? It wouldn't be a mandatory feature. Also only fools would use it on the few websites it matters such as online banking.
I don't want to write down passwords because I'm not an animal.

ICQ5 wrote:probably would be a security issue if someone hacked you an could gain access to all websites you were automatically loggerd into

It's always a security issue if you get hacked. If you happen to be logged in, the hacker would get access via cookies. But wouldn't be able to get you passwords, only by keyloggers and stuff, for which this would be a non-factor. (Provided you have a half-decen implementation with encryption)

avada
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted September 10th, 2017, 1:42 am

LoveMyFoxy wrote: I found a Reddit forum, enough said. #-o

So? people can respond on reddit just as well as anywhere. (That said, I don't know how active is the userbase) Also there are comments on Waterfox's blog.

LoveMyFoxy wrote:this site is the best place to get browser support that we can understand

If it's a FF fork you can still stay here. Most things won't be different, so if you figure something out for firefox it'll work on whichever fork. There's also an alternative builds sub-forum. (Which I guess will be far more active when V57 is released)

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I don't know what support is out there for Vivaldi, Pale Moon or some of the lesser browsers.

Well, feel free to look around then... searching for "<browsername> support|forum" is not an intellectually challenging task.

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest