MozillaZine

Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27069
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted September 4th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
The Tinsmith wrote:
a lot of people have kept using Firefox because of FireFTP.

Seriously? Think Filezilla.

You use that, do you? I do, but for some reason I always thought it was a Linux only program.

For Windows, Mac OSX (10.9+) and Linux. I remember using it on a old Win95 laptop in the first few years of the FileZilla FTP client existence even though WinXP was supposedly the minimum needed then.

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1

jhaber3 wrote:a lot of people have kept using Firefox because of FireFTP.

Why when there have been lots of good proper FTP clients for years before the Fireftp extension started in 2006. FileZilla (no relation to Mozilla) as mentioned is a popular opensource FTP client for sixteen years now.

Hairyge3K
 
Posts: 2
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 1:48 am

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 2:07 am

Hello,

I would like to use Firefox again, but I am looking forward a specific extension functionality and I can't find what I am looking for.

Basically, I would like Firefox to autocomplete forms on page load, based on fields names.

For example, my bank website use the "autocomplete=off" feature on its login form and my credentials are never completed automatically when the page loads.

I used AutoFill extension in the past but it doesn't work correctly anymore with my bank website.

I have found a little extension which works perfectly, but I fear it would not be available with Firefox 57.

Have you heard of a new compatible extension to do that ?
Thanks !

WaltS48

User avatar
 
Posts: 3445
Joined: May 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 6:44 am

Hairyge3K wrote:Hello,

I would like to use Firefox again, but I am looking forward a specific extension functionality and I can't find what I am looking for.

Basically, I would like Firefox to autocomplete forms on page load, based on fields names.

For example, my bank website use the "autocomplete=off" feature on its login form and my credentials are never completed automatically when the page loads.

I used AutoFill extension in the past but it doesn't work correctly anymore with my bank website.

I have found a little extension which works perfectly, but I fear it would not be available with Firefox 57.

Have you heard of a new compatible extension to do that ?
Thanks !


Firefox 57 will have an Autofill feature.

https://blog.nightly.mozilla.org/2017/0 ... x-nightly/
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2508
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 9:46 am

possible - or not, read c7
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1333351#c7

i cannot open that file, no rights.

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43239
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 3:12 pm

I hope it has an Off pref. I despise autofill /auto suggestions
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 3:20 pm

surely there will have to be a opt out of that Feature ? i dont like being forced to use an Autofill crap

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 19412
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 3:23 pm

malliz wrote:I hope it has an Off pref. I despise autofill /auto suggestions

If it didn't have an Off pref then you'd just set its storage file to Read Only and whack it that way.

Autofill is a gift from the gods to scammers - simple name and Email add. form for a free discount voucher or whatever (greed gets the punters in every time) and they then use opacity: 0 (i.e. invisible) for every other possible info box that could exist. The code reads the page and fills in all the boxes that you can't even see.

Simple and effective.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

The Tinsmith
 
Posts: 687
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 10:29 am

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 3:35 pm

malliz wrote:I hope it has an Off pref. I despise autofill /auto suggestions



You have to configure it for it to work.

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43239
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Blog Post wrote:Before release

Support for credit cards
More data validation and cleansing
Sync between desktops with your Firefox Account
Significantly improved heuristics… there is a lot of work to do here yet
Support for more countries based on feedback from our localization communities
Support for data transformations on more types e.g. splitting a phone number into country code, area code, exchange, and number when required by sites
UI polish
Telemetry to measure accuracy of autofilled data as a quality metric


Frank Lion wrote:Autofill is a gift from the gods to scammers - simple name and Email add. form for a free discount voucher or whatever (greed gets the punters in every time) and they then use opacity: 0 (i.e. invisible) for every other possible info box that could exist. The code reads the page and fills in all the boxes that you can't even see.

Simple and effective.


Yes the "Support for credit cards" sounds like a security nightmare
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 4:36 pm

isnt this New Autofill in 56 also? or just Nightly

The Tinsmith
 
Posts: 687
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 10:29 am

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 4:50 pm

ICQ5 wrote:isnt this New Autofill in 56 also? or just Nightly



I have not used it myself but what I see is that "you" enter a list of information in Firefox, card numbers for example, And if/when the site you are on wants that information for some item you are buying the list appears and "you" select the entry and then paste it.

Somewhat like the "logon" feature.

Like it? Use it. Don't like it? Don't use it.

No gun to the head thing. :-)

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 5:00 pm

The Tinsmith wrote:
ICQ5 wrote:isnt this New Autofill in 56 also? or just Nightly



I have not used it myself but what I see is that "you" enter a list of information in Firefox, card numbers for example, And if/when the site you are on wants that information for some item you are buying the list appears and "you" select the entry and then paste it.

Somewhat like the "logon" feature.

Like it? Use it. Don't like it? Don't use it.

No gun to the head thing. :-)

that didnt answer my question now did it, re-read my question

mightyglydd

User avatar
 
Posts: 9007
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca.

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 5:04 pm

The Tinsmith wrote:I have not used it myself

Evidently x 2, nightly 'testers' who don't 'test' but troll threads like this.
#KeepFightingMichael

WaltS48

User avatar
 
Posts: 3445
Joined: May 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 5:12 pm

ICQ5 wrote:surely there will have to be a opt out of that Feature ? i dont like being forced to use an Autofill crap


In the Privacy & Security section of Options there are two check boxes for Autofill settings.

    Autofill Addresses
    Autofill credit cards

Each has a button for Saved entries, just like the Saved Logins window where the user can add, edit or delete information.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted September 7th, 2017, 5:16 pm

WaltS48 wrote:
ICQ5 wrote:surely there will have to be a opt out of that Feature ? i dont like being forced to use an Autofill crap


In the Privacy & Security section of Options there are two check boxes for Autofill settings.

    Autofill Addresses
    Autofill credit cards

Each has a button for Saved entries, just like the Saved Logins window where the user can add, edit or delete information.

ok thanks Bro

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest