MozillaZine

Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
LIMPET235

Post Posted May 14th, 2017, 6:20 am

Yep.
I no longer use any software that requires installation since 2012...

But, it takes all kinds to ............(Add your own quote here).
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-50.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.9.0.
RadioYachting. Conficker Test. (Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Frank Lion

Post Posted May 14th, 2017, 7:21 am

Yep, and the irony both there and over the years in Firefox Support, is that they all think they are making perfect sense and are 'merely justifiably frustrated' in that way that people are so amazingly forgiving..but only of themselves.

Well, I have to tell them, not that they'd listen, this is what that stuff reads like to other people - Mr Cheswick from, appropriately, 'One Few Over the Cuckoo's Nest '.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

GHM113

Post Posted May 22nd, 2017, 8:03 am

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1366759
Consider API to hide tabs
For snooze tabs and containers we have implemented the ability to hide a tab.
This should be removed from memory but also keep page state like form filling and page position etc. Implementing this manually with no issues including performance is near impossible.

I guess this API will be useless for addons using toolbar API.

UPD: Wontfixed :-"
I am an idiot. Sorry for my poor English.

GHM113

Post Posted May 23rd, 2017, 11:04 am

Unfortunately, very bad news about toolbar API. I asked Andy McKay when toolbar API would land in Nightly and he said he didn't know. According to him, the current status of toolbar API is in the roadmap:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebExtensions/ ... 7#Toolbars
This bug suggests it will be happening, but it hasn't been assigned to anyone yet. There's some discussion around if this is a good feature or not. The only toolbar left in Firefox is the bookmarks toolbar and there's some pressure to remove that as well. We are not keen on providing APIs, only to have to remove them.

Of all the things in the roadmap, this is the most unclear at this moment

Now my vision of the situation. Andy Mckay is responsible for everything related to WebExtensions API and toolbar API bug still hasn't got an assignee after 2 years on bugzilla so if he says there is some pressure to remove toolbar API and toolbars altogether then toolbar API is in big trouble :(

Frank Lion

Post Posted May 23rd, 2017, 11:34 am

GHM113 wrote:Unfortunately, very bad news about toolbar API.

What did I link to back in January here? - viewtopic.php?p=14727590#p14727590

This - http://arewewebextensionsyet.com/
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

GHM113

Post Posted May 23rd, 2017, 11:53 am

Frank, you are a prophet! Take a look at this, written 15 minutes ago:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 246706#c16
Allow listening for mouse events on tabs

Andy McKay wrote:WebExtensions are about providing interaction with web content and less focusing on the browser chrome.

For example: being able to scroll up and down, using a mouse on the tab strip is already something in Firefox and capturing those events could potentially break it. There were also questions in the meeting about how this would work once WebExtensions are in their own process.

Whilst this bug is specifically about tabs, its about allowing specific events on the user interface to be captured and that's something that we've been avoiding as much as possible because of extensions breaking the browser chrome.

Resolution: --- → WONTFIX

](*,) [-X :evil:
Last edited by DanRaisch on May 23rd, 2017, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language.

Aris

Post Posted Yesterday, 1:31 am

Wow, who saw that comming ;-)
Once again a confirmed giant FU goes from Mozilla/Firefox devs to all add-on developers and Firefox users.

Arch5

Post Posted Yesterday, 3:09 am

i think that bit from the developer of DTA pretty much summed it up also

GHM113

Post Posted Yesterday, 8:52 am

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 366812#c22
In the future I'm going to ask for a clear explanation as to why a debug only assert firing would be severe enough to justify crashing the user's browser, causing top crash issues, and affecting the Nightly quality especially as we're moving to the model where Nightly stability is being treated as more of a goal by release management.

:-k

Return to Firefox Builds