MozillaZine

Javascript Performance Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
jandem
 
Posts: 93
Joined: September 18th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Post Posted February 3rd, 2018, 8:41 am

Hi folks, we could use your help! If you know how to download Try builds and run the Kraken benchmark, we'd love to know the results you get for the 2 Try builds here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1435209#c6

The bug also has a micro-benchmark that might be interesting. Don't forget to mention the CPU model :) We're especially interested in AMD and older Intel CPUs - there are some concerns the CMOV CPU instruction is slower there, but unfortunately I don't have hardware to test this on.

edit: someone already posted AMD results (in the bug) that look good, so that makes AMD testing a bit less urgent.

winapp2
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: March 31st, 2013, 10:31 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Post Posted February 3rd, 2018, 2:01 pm

jandem wrote:Hi folks, we could use your help! If you know how to download Try builds and run the Kraken benchmark, we'd love to know the results you get for the 2 Try builds here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1435209#c6

The bug also has a micro-benchmark that might be interesting. Don't forget to mention the CPU model :) We're especially interested in AMD and older Intel CPUs - there are some concerns the CMOV CPU instruction is slower there, but unfortunately I don't have hardware to test this on.

edit: someone already posted AMD results (in the bug) that look good, so that makes AMD testing a bit less urgent.

Could you point towards some documentation on downloading/running try builds? Would love to help out but am finding myself ignorant here. :-k

jandem
 
Posts: 93
Joined: September 18th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Post Posted February 4th, 2018, 12:37 am

winapp2 wrote:Could you point towards some documentation on downloading/running try builds? Would love to help out but am finding myself ignorant here. :-k

Sure. So the way it works is:

(1) Click on the green B next to the platform you're interested in (for 32-bit Windows that's "Windows 2012 opt", for 64-bit Windows it's "Windows 2012 x64 opt"). You want the "opt" builds - debug builds are useless for perf testing.

(2) Then in the job details tab near the bottom of the screen, look for target.zip - if you download + unzip that you can run firefox.exe. On OS X you want target.dmg, on Linux target.tar.gz

Probably should close all other Firefox/Nightly windows first so we don't "reuse" another process.

Hope this helps :)

smsmith
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 19779
Joined: December 7th, 2004, 8:51 pm
Location: Indiana

Post Posted February 4th, 2018, 8:00 am

Today's 02/04 Nightly Build: RESULTS

Trybuild - Windows x64: RESULTS

So for me, the trybuild is slower.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Are You A Wiiizard?
 
Posts: 326
Joined: August 30th, 2012, 4:27 am

Post Posted February 4th, 2018, 1:30 pm

smsmith wrote:Today's 02/04 Nightly Build: RESULTS

Trybuild - Windows x64: RESULTS

So for me, the trybuild is slower.


From what I understand that is irrelevant as they want to compare 2 different try builds to determine the best way to implement a security feature. Correct me if I misunderstood though.

smsmith
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 19779
Joined: December 7th, 2004, 8:51 pm
Location: Indiana

Post Posted February 4th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Hah! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Wizard!

Index Masking build: RESULTS

CMOVcc build; RESULTS

CPU information:
intel core i7-3635QM @ 2.4 GHz
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Ver Greeneyes
 
Posts: 1024
Joined: June 28th, 2008, 4:57 am

Post Posted February 5th, 2018, 8:24 am

Yeah, these are mitigations for the Spectre vulnerabilities, which web browsers are very vulnerable to (as running user generated code is what they do). The JIT and WASM devs have come up with some clever schemes that don't compromise performance too much (especially on 64-bit), but there is inevitably going to be some level of slowdown.

Harsh86
 
Posts: 94
Joined: August 23rd, 2004, 4:34 am

Post Posted February 15th, 2018, 5:31 am

Bug 903519- GC: allocate JSStrings and string data in the Nursery has just landed. =D> It's been in the works for a long time.

Are You A Wiiizard?
 
Posts: 326
Joined: August 30th, 2012, 4:27 am

Post Posted February 15th, 2018, 9:00 am

Harsh86 wrote:Bug 903519- GC: allocate JSStrings and string data in the Nursery has just landed. =D> It's been in the works for a long time.


Reported:
5 years ago


Wow!

mayankleoboy1
 
Posts: 449
Joined: February 25th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Post Posted February 17th, 2018, 3:50 am

so it has landed . Any perf improvements, or is it waiting to be enabled?

mozian
 
Posts: 152
Joined: April 30th, 2011, 11:30 pm
Location: HK

Post Posted February 17th, 2018, 5:30 am

mayankleoboy1 wrote:so it has landed . Any perf improvements, or is it waiting to be enabled?


enable via system environment "MOZ_ENABLE_NURSERY_STRINGS=1"

greg86
 
Posts: 50
Joined: January 28th, 2007, 11:33 am
Location: Germany

Post Posted March 5th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Is it planned that AWFY is down?

mayankleoboy1
 
Posts: 449
Joined: February 25th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Post Posted April 18th, 2018, 5:10 am

Whats the plan for JS in 2018? Any specific things on which they want to work on? any roadmaps?

Lurtz
 
Posts: 353
Joined: June 12th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Post Posted April 18th, 2018, 5:34 am

On the Firefox roadmap for 2018 there is only this mentioned specifically: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1361474

mayankleoboy1
 
Posts: 449
Joined: February 25th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Post Posted April 18th, 2018, 9:29 am

Lurtz wrote:On the Firefox roadmap for 2018 there is only this mentioned specifically: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1361474

it looks quite abandoned.

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Omega X and 4 guests