MozillaZine

Firebird's Dead

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Qeantk
 
Posts: 115
Joined: May 6th, 2003, 12:54 pm

Post Posted May 10th, 2003, 10:14 pm

Radiowriter wrote:
WTFAYTA? :?

Wait...I may have figured it out. :)


:) *wink* I think you weren't the only person to catch it at first.

tseelee

User avatar
 
Posts: 628
Joined: May 3rd, 2003, 10:34 pm
Location: Ridgewood, NY

Post Posted May 11th, 2003, 4:47 pm

chw131 wrote:But the management have never bring Netscape back to live or back with the spirit Mozilla/Netscape use to have.


It's pretty much accepted that yes, Netscape lost its brains after THE exodus. This in NO way reflects those who remained, but rebuilding any organization, not to mention a bleeding-edge (sorry for the sad cliche), innovative company is highly problematic unless you've M$'s $$ to throw around.

chw131 wrote:I am an loyal user of netscape/mozilla over the past 15 years..


You mean 8-10?

chw131 wrote:Netscape/Mozilla has be overshadowed by AOL bad reputations for too long.


While some do hate AOL, I hardly care. It's funding Mozilla and we're all grateful for it. In fact, I'm wishing AOL prosper (so MSN WON'T) and that it will one day adopt Mozilla (like it already did w. OS X!).

chw131 wrote:I'm just hoping AOL will take the hint by these low numbers.


Few hints can be taken from this lesson. Economic 101: Monopoly says it all.

chw131
 
Posts: 11
Joined: May 8th, 2003, 6:30 pm

Post Posted May 11th, 2003, 9:12 pm

Tseele, maybe I am standing on a customer point of view instead of a insider. I have no idea, and could not image what the people inside the project went thru in the past few years. Well, however, I feel hurting when I see none around me in the user side seem to notice the importance of the existence of Mozilla/Netscape. As a long time user of Mozilla (maybe my memory loss become more serious now) I feel the need to say something here. 8-10 years? Hmmm.... seems to me, they’ve been around longer.

You have put many of the points in a practical developer or a person who is involving the project. I feel surprised (in the good way) that the strong spirits still there. Just cross my fingers that the marketing or corporate freaks will not screw this one up again.

Understand the reality is a good thing, thanks for the econ 101 lecture. And I believe majority of us learned that lesson in the past few years..... But I believe this is also a place we should share our dreams and expectations with others. Let the people who is working on the project know that if they do a good job, there are always a good group of loyal fan out there waiting and dreaming....

tseelee

User avatar
 
Posts: 628
Joined: May 3rd, 2003, 10:34 pm
Location: Ridgewood, NY

Post Posted May 11th, 2003, 9:55 pm

chw131 wrote:Tseele, maybe I am standing on a customer point of view instead of a insider.


I'm no more a Moz developer than you.

chw131 wrote:8-10 years? Hmmm.... seems to me, they’ve been around longer.


If I remember correctly, Mosaic came about circa 1993. Netscape went public circa 1995 which made Gates realize web browser is important (but not as much as he thinks). Btw, I think AOL became #1 circa 1992. ISPs followed later.

chw131 wrote:You have put many of the points in a practical developer or a person who is involving the project. I feel surprised (in the good way) that the strong spirits still there. Just cross my fingers that the marketing or corporate freaks will not screw this one up again.


Thanks. ;-) As a user, I feel they're doing a decent job. After all, Mozilla 1.0 came out only a year ago, so they really can't have done much.

chw131 wrote:But I believe this is also a place we should share our dreams and expectations with others. Let the people who is working on the project know that if they do a good job, there are always a good group of loyal fan out there waiting and dreaming....


I only meant that though the prolonged development of Mozilla plays an important part of it losing ground, M$ really is to be blamed for most of it. IE didn't become THE browser until M$ began seriously bundled it in the well-documented grab.

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mark12547 and 6 guests