MozillaZine

Tab problem

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Aqua.

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 5:19 pm

I downloaded and installed a bunch of extensions, encountered tabbing problems, and uninstalled all the extensions.

However, I'm still having the tabbing problems. These being: Ctrl+T no longer works, nor does the "New Tab" button in the toolbar.

Is there a way to go in and reenable these manually? If so, how?

Chris Cook

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 7:08 pm

Aqua. wrote:I downloaded and installed a bunch of extensions, encountered tabbing problems, and uninstalled all the extensions.

However, I'm still having the tabbing problems. These being: Ctrl+T no longer works, nor does the "New Tab" button in the toolbar.

Is there a way to go in and reenable these manually? If so, how?

The easiest way to uninstall all your extensions would be to delete your Phoenix directory and re-install (unzip the download). You will lose the extensions but your profile, which resides in a different directory, along with any themes you installed will remain intact.

Aqua.

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 7:55 pm

Would I lose my bookmarks when I delete the Phoenix directory? If so, what is the best way to back them up and later restore them?

As you can tell, I'm not a real techie guy, I simply stumbled Phoenix when it was at .1 and when it reached .5 I found I liked it more than any other browser out there.

Chris Cook

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 8:03 pm

Aqua. wrote:Would I lose my bookmarks when I delete the Phoenix directory? If so, what is the best way to back them up and later restore them?

As you can tell, I'm not a real techie guy, I simply stumbled Phoenix when it was at .1 and when it reached .5 I found I liked it more than any other browser out there.

Your profile, which contains your bookmarks, user preferences, etc., is stored in a different location (dependant on your version of windows). Your profile will not be affected so after you've deleted and re-installed, Phoenix will find your existing profile. What I've suggested is the most hassle-free way of starting over with respect to extensions.

For further details you can read all the gory technical details at the phoenix help site:
http://texturizer.net/phoenix/edit.html

Spewey
Folder@Home

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 8:09 pm

No, the bookmarks are in your <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/edit.html">profile directory</a> as an html file called "bookmarks". However, if your profile directory is confused, it may be best to start all over.

I think most people would recommend the latest nightly build over 0.5 in which case you should rename/move/save-elsewhere your profile directory (I rename it at the "Phoenix" dir to "phoenix05" for instance) and unzip the new version and allow it to create a new profile dir upon startup. Close Px, replace the bookmark file with your old one and fire it up again. This works for cookies too. Then reinstall extensions & themes from the Px Help site and you are on your way.

If you want to stick with 0.5, you can do it the same way.

Aqua.

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 8:21 pm

Thank you :) I will follow your suggestions.

I'll be using the Feb. 21 build as I've seen several people on the forum recommending it as one of the few stable nightlies.

Aqua.

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 8:55 pm

It's gone down hard now.

I've deleted the old version and unzipped the new version (Feb 21 build). It won't run at all.

I've since tried installing .1, .4, and .5 .... none of which work now :(

Spewey
Folder@Home

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 8:58 pm

Um, geez, idunno. What does it do? It unzips but wont run? What OS are we talking about here?

Aqua.

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 9:02 pm

Now getting and error that sends me to the WinXP error reporting dialog.

AppName: phoenix.exe AppVer: 1.3.0.0 ModName: js3250.dll
ModVer: 4.0.0.0 Offset: 00007a86

Aqua.

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 9:05 pm

Spewey,

I'm running Win XP Pro SP1

As you say, it unzips, but doesn't run. (an odd thing is that it's asking to overwrite files in a brand new folder I just created for phoenix)

I'm a wee bit frustrated, but willing to keep trying since I've never had problems with Phoenix before this week.

Spewey
Folder@Home

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 9:22 pm

Aqua. wrote:...it's asking to overwrite files in a brand new folder I just created for phoenix

Well it shouldn't do that. Do you use winzip? Do you have "use folder names" checked? No.
The zip needs to unzip into its predetermined folders.

Aqua.

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 9:42 pm

Yes, I use winzip (8.1 I think)

I do not have "use folder names" checked. I'll try again with it checked.

Aqua.

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 10:31 pm

Woooot!

Checking "use folder names" did the trick :)

Thank you very very very much LOL

Aqua.

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 10:37 pm

New (non-critical) problem:

I had successfully backed up my bookmarks. But now I can't seem to restore them. I copy them back into where they came from, but Phoenix isn't showing them in the Bookmarks menu.

Spewey
Folder@Home

Post Posted March 5th, 2003, 10:37 pm

Just doin' my job
All in a day's work.

Y'all stop back, y'hear?

Return to Extension Development