MozillaZine

Digger and Stylesheet Switcher updated

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old Neil Parks

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 10:54 am

Monday night I installed the new improved Digger 0.4.0 with the good-looking green arrow on my home computer. It fits in very nicely with Pinball 0.64.

Today I wanted to make the same upgrade to my computer at work, but all I'm getting is 0.3.0 with the old too-big Orbit icon.

cdn

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 11:06 am

richwklein wrote:I just tried it with several other themes, and it seems to mess up several of them. cdn's change works better :wink:

since some people don't have the go button on their toolbar, it could just as easily be applied to Reload ?

clav

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 11:34 am

Ok, i've just uploaded a new version, Digger 0.5 which puts the Digger menu as a context menu on the Go button. I have removed the actual Digger toolbar button since I don't see any point in having both options in the same extension (Digger 0.4.0 is still available). 0.5 also makes middle click function as a "Open in new tab" for the go button.

cdn: I think putting Digger on the reload button would be very strange. The functions dont seem at all related to me.

cdn

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 1:14 pm

the alternative would be appending to the toolbar customisation context menu (silly) or do as Spade* does, and append to the page context menu, which then renders Digger obsolete : )

* http://downloads.mozdev.org/cdn/spade/s ... 030210.xpi

David James

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 1:46 pm

clav wrote:Ok, i've just uploaded a new version, Digger 0.5 which puts the Digger menu as a context menu on the Go button. I have removed the actual Digger toolbar button since I don't see any point in having both options in the same extension (Digger 0.4.0 is still available). 0.5 also makes middle click function as a "Open in new tab" for the go button.

I love it! Well done Clav. Makes the Go button a truly useful button now, and the middle-click open-in-new tab function is a great idea too. In fact this is how the Go button *should* work in the first place.

Digger 0.5.0 seems fine with Pinball here in Linux. I'm not quite sure what the problem was that someone was having but I do know Alan had to do quite a bit of work on the Go button to get it to work and look correct in Text-only (Pinball works better than any other theme, including the default, in text-only).

Thinking of Pinball, Chris, have you uploaded 0.6.4 to mozdev.org, as 0.6.4 has the fixes for the preferences overhaul?
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3

clav

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 1:52 pm

dunda wrote:Is there any way to have users stylesheets available in such a way too?

I'm working on putting this into StyleSwitcher. It will probably only be able to apply your stylesheets if they are hosted somewhere on the web though, since for security reasons webpages cannot access local files, even css.

cdn

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 3:47 pm

David James wrote:Thinking of Pinball, Chris, have you uploaded 0.6.4 to mozdev.org, as 0.6.4 has the fixes for the preferences overhaul?

not yet :oops:, although the page does say that intermediate releases are on your site : )

I'll do it now, then it will get mirrored 2300 GMT

clav

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 4:17 pm

David James wrote:I love it! Well done Clav.

David James wrote:Makes the Go button a truly useful button now, and the middle-click open-in-new tab function is a great idea too. In fact this is how the Go button *should* work in the first place.

That was pretty much my reason for adding it. I find myself expecting to be able to middle-click almost anything to open it in a new tab, and the Go button was a particulalrly obvious case. (I'm also tempted to add middle-click to the Back and Forward popups, and perhaps to the Digger menu itself).

cdn

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 4:17 pm

clav wrote:
dunda wrote:Is there any way to have users stylesheets available in such a way too?

I'm working on putting this into StyleSwitcher. It will probably only be able to apply your stylesheets if they are hosted somewhere on the web though, since for security reasons webpages cannot access local files, even css.

not even <profile>[/chrome] ?

jslib lets you, which uses the Moz js implementations

see : http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... 4865#34865

clav

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 4:38 pm

cdn wrote:
clav wrote:

not even <profile>[/chrome] ?

jslib lets you, which uses the Moz js implementations

see : http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... 4865#34865

the chrome can access local files certainly. The obvious way to add a stylesheet to a webpage though is to add a new <link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" href="..."/> element to the <head/> of the document. Even though this element is added via the js in the chrome a local css file will be ignored.

I'm looking into alternative ways of applying user style sheets

GeekK

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 5:52 pm

clav wrote:I have updated Digger with a new icon to match the (not so) new default theme in Phoenix. There is also now a section at the bottom of the popup where subdomains are repeatedly trimmed off the URL. (Someone requested this back in December, and cdn emailed me some code to implement it earlier today).

Great update clav! Thx. :)

priior

Post Posted February 11th, 2003, 6:56 pm

clav: i think this solves all the visual problems as well! :) Good work!

Return to Extension Development