MozillaZine

"E-Mail Link" extension?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Dez

Post Posted February 10th, 2003, 2:13 am

I was round at my mates house and he is running Phoenix on his Mac, and he has a nifty toolbar button which when pressed opens your mail client and pastes a link to the current browser page in the body of the text. Does anyone know if the Windows build has this, or if it is available as an Extension? I can't seem to find it if it is. :roll:

alanjstr

Post Posted February 10th, 2003, 8:07 am

This was mentioned before. I think someone was able to do it with a bookmarklet for yahoo mail. Also, the Context Menu Extension could do it.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Goldzilla

Post Posted February 13th, 2003, 10:02 pm

Yahoo has an image for Windows that will run Yahoo Mail when you click on an email link. I don't know if Phoenix uses this mechanism by default but I suspect that it doesn't. I don't think that this is what your friend is using as he's not on Windows. ContextMenu Extensions has a feature where you can specify an executable for a separate mail client or a web address if you use webmail. For Yahoo email, you put in symbols that get the pieces of the mailto link and they get substituted in. This feature is currently broken but Piro said that it will be fixed in the next release.

It's trivial, though, to write a custom script to do this with ContextMenu Extensions. The option would then live on the context menu (right click). You could put it in the Custom Scripts menu bar pulldown.

You could create a bookmarklet to do this too and place it on your personal toolbar. I don't think that bookmarklets can run external applications though, so you could be out of luck if you have a seperate email client. If you are using webmail, then you would only have to construct the URL containing the necessary information for your webmail site.

You can get some information on bookmarklets at bookmarklets.com.

Return to Extension Development