MozillaZine

yet another TBE question

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
roachfiend

User avatar
 
Posts: 264
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 11:54 pm
Location: north america

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 2:01 pm

what i want is really simple, and i'm almost positive there's a user.js way to fix this, but i have no idea how:

i want to click on a link that would normally take me to a new window to open up a new tab and immediately focus on it. if i middle click on something, i want it to open up in a new tab in the background.

however, i cannot figure out how to do this. i e-mailed the author of TBE, Piro, but what i got in a reply wasn't really an answer- it was more or less incomprehensible, and i don't really think he understood my question. incidentally, his first language isn't english, but it's much better than my japanese.

so, i was hoping that someone here might know how to make this happen.

let's get this out of the way: i know there's a focus tab on the tbe preferences, but it doesn't address what i want to do. i can make all links open in the background, or foreground, or a new tab, or a new window, but what i want is seperate controls for a left click and a middle click.

windows xp pro
phoenix 0.5 milestone
latest tbe

flii

User avatar
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 11:29 pm
Location: hickville, south dakota

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 3:03 pm

i think this will fix your problem. at least i hope so. :P

go to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Tabbed Browsing
(here's where i'm not sure how tbe changes things)

without tbe, there's a "load links in the background" option in the "Tab Display" box that is checked by default. unchecking this will make new tabs open in the foreground.

do you have anything like that?

VinceVW
 
Posts: 113
Joined: November 13th, 2002, 4:20 am
Location: Heaven 69

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 10:43 pm

@Flii: I wanted to tell him the same thing but I think that this is what he wants to do, and I don't know if it's possible.

i want to click on a link that would normally take me to a new window to open up a new tab and immediately focus on it. if i middle click on something, i want it to open up in a new tab in the background.

Chris Cook

User avatar
 
Posts: 898
Joined: December 14th, 2002, 9:57 am
Location: Qu├ębec, Canada

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 10:49 pm

roachfiend wrote:i want to click on a link that would normally take me to a new window to open up a new tab and immediately focus on it. if i middle click on something, i want it to open up in a new tab in the background.

I am working on an extension that will do the first thing (which I have working now). I have not, however, implemented different focus options depending on which button is used. I will think about if I want to use that.

There is no user.js pref to control the first thing as far as I know, or I wouldn't be creating an extension to do it.

thenightfly42

User avatar
 
Posts: 983
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 8:03 am

Post Posted February 10th, 2003, 7:37 am

roachfiend wrote:i want to click on a link that would normally take me to a new window to open up a new tab and immediately focus on it. if i middle click on something, i want it to open up in a new tab in the background.

A halfway solution, perhaps? When you refer to "normaly take me to a new window", are you referring to javascript popup windows? There's a preference (I can't find it right now, due to the options reconfiguration) that allows javascript windows to load in the foreground. Might have to turn "advanced preferences" on for TBE. Pretty recent change, and a very nice one at that.

roachfiend

User avatar
 
Posts: 264
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 11:54 pm
Location: north america

Post Posted February 13th, 2003, 7:35 pm

Chris Cook wrote:I am working on an extension that will do the first thing (which I have working now). I have not, however, implemented different focus options depending on which button is used. I will think about if I want to use that.

that would be fantastic.

Goldzilla

User avatar
 
Posts: 2579
Joined: November 22nd, 2002, 6:52 pm

Post Posted February 15th, 2003, 12:28 am

roachfiend wrote:what i want is really simple, and i'm almost positive there's a user.js way to fix this, but i have no idea how:

i want to click on a link that would normally take me to a new window to open up a new tab and immediately focus on it. if i middle click on something, i want it to open up in a new tab in the background.

latest tbe


Links can have about="_blank" in them to open a new window or a new tab with a left click. A middle-click will open this as a new window or tab. Right now, these are both classified as links for focus purposes.

I gather that you want to consider the former to load in the foreground and the latter in the background. I guess that you need a pref for open new window from html to have sepeate focus options based on the mouse button.

roachfiend

User avatar
 
Posts: 264
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 11:54 pm
Location: north america

Post Posted February 22nd, 2003, 1:56 pm

Goldzilla wrote:I gather that you want to consider the former to load in the foreground and the latter in the background. I guess that you need a pref for open new window from html to have sepeate focus options based on the mouse button.
this is exactly what i want. how could i rewrite it in html to have different focusing options? i have proxomitron, so i can have it replace items at will.

Goldzilla

User avatar
 
Posts: 2579
Joined: November 22nd, 2002, 6:52 pm

Post Posted February 22nd, 2003, 2:29 pm

roachfiend wrote:
Goldzilla wrote:I gather that you want to consider the former to load in the foreground and the latter in the background. I guess that you need a pref for open new window from html to have sepeate focus options based on the mouse button.
this is exactly what i want. how could i rewrite it in html to have different focusing options? i have proxomitron, so i can have it replace items at will.


I think that the easiest thing to do would be to ask Piro for this. You could potentially rewrite links to be opened in Javascript code which has a separate "load in background" pref for Javascript open in new window commands.

tommut
 
Posts: 15
Joined: March 7th, 2003, 6:27 pm

Post Posted March 7th, 2003, 6:32 pm

I 've been looking for the similar functionality. Normally I want a middle-click to focus immediately on the new tab (when I'm opening up google search results, for example). However other times, I'd like a ctrl-click to open up the tab in the background (such as when I'm opening up a bunch of different links from slashdot).

The solution I came up to was using Mouse Gestures. I have middle-click open a tab in a foreground, and then I set a gesture of when I mouse-up over a link to open that link in a background tab.

Not quite as nice as what you might want, but it works for me.

Return to Extension Development


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests