MozillaZine

TBE and new Options Consolidation

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
tholus

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 8:05 pm

Duplicate tab
Remember sites on when phoenix crashes
Remember sites on when you close phoenix
Auto-Reload
The open bookmarks and history in background tab
Drag tab

I think those are the ones I use the most and I can do with out the other options. There might be one or two I'm missing..

Chris Cook

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 8:10 pm

ph wrote:It's a very good news for me that somebody's going to create smth like TBE supporting the new builds. I like TBE and can not use Px w/o it.

I don't intend to recreate TBE. I suspect that Piro will make TBE work with Phoenix again when his efforts will not be wasted by additional changes in the options dialog. Additionally, I wouldn't even be considering creating an extension if the devs would implement sufficient preferences (natively) to reasonably use the tabbed browsing feature.

I will restate my intent with the "Tabbrowser Preferences" extension as most seem to have missed it.
  1. I would like to re-implement the GUI options for tab browser features that already exist but have been removed from the options dialog.
  2. I would like to implement sufficient options and features to enable a single window (i.e. tabs versus windows) mode of browsing. This means handling links that would normally open a window, posssibly handling links from other apps as I _think_ TBE does this, opening bookmarks correctly, etc.
I don't plan to introduce or reproduce additional features beyond this. If you need the power options, then TBE is for you. And if the devs decide to implement most of these preferences and options in a (further) redesign, I will drop this project in a heartbeat as it would be redundant. :)

ph wrote:1. Tabs at the bottom/top (switchable).

Can't say that I care much for this preference, but since it seems like more of a preference than a feature (at first glance) I will consider it.
ph wrote:2. Duplicate tab in new tab/window.

This "feature" seems popular although I can't understand what the use of it would be. I probably won't consider this for now since it doesn't fit with my initial plans.
ph wrote:3. Choice what is open in new tab (blank/home/current)

Already have this working.
ph wrote:4. Undo close tab.

Huh? Would you like undo exit program too? Seriously, implementing cludgy features like this is a sign that there is either something wrong with the "close tab" interface (not intuitive enough or too easy to inadvertantly click) or you just were just not thinking in which case there is probably no software that can save you. I'll leave this feature for TBE.
ph wrote:5.Single window mode (on/off)

This is the intent of the extension, although it may not look exactly like TBE.

Chris Cook

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 8:24 pm

alanjstr wrote:Warn when exiting if multiple tabs are open

Do you mean, pop up a confirmation dialog? Is this to catch some confusing keystroke (ctrl-w/ctrl-shift-w)?
alanjstr wrote:Always show at least one tab (combination of several prefs)

Make the last tab "uncloseable"?

alanjstr wrote:The whole "Focus of Tabs" section

You'll have to explain this specifically since I don't have TBE and I am not reverse engineering it.

alanjstr wrote:Ability to set double-click to close the tab

This sounds dangerous. What if you accidently double-click when selecting a tab? Uh-oh..better "undo close tab"?

alanjstr wrote:Ability to disable middle-click/double-click on blank area
Open new tab on far-right listbox.

Don't tell me I'm going to have to install TBE so I know what you're talking about. :)

I don't anticipate that TBE will happily coexist with any other extensions that affect tabbrowser functionality. Therefore, I'm not even going to try (initially).

alanjstr wrote:Ok, those are my top 10. You realize that when taking them all into consideration, you'll wind up with most of TBE.

Then you realize that I won't be considering them all. :)

alanjstr

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 8:44 pm

Yes, it would help if you had TBE to know what tab features people really want.

Chris Cook wrote:
alanjstr wrote:Warn when exiting if multiple tabs are open

Do you mean, pop up a confirmation dialog? Is this to catch some confusing keystroke (ctrl-w/ctrl-shift-w)?

Too often I accidentally click the X in the upper right corner of the browser. For example, if I were closing other programs and slip.

Chris Cook wrote:

Pretty much. There is a 'flaw' in the built in option. TBE manages to correct the situation, though it's still a little messy (the tab goes away and then returns right away). If I'm gonna use tabbed browsing, I'd like it to always be in tab mode. I hate it when tabs only appear once I launch a second one.

Chris Cook wrote:
alanjstr wrote:The whole "Focus of Tabs" section

You'll have to explain this specifically since I don't have TBE and I am not reverse engineering it.

This isn't really a high priority. Basically, if I do a CTRL+N for a new tab, or if I middle-click a bookmark, I would want them to open in the foreground. This topic was discussed on the forums way back before Piro implemented it.

Chris Cook wrote:
alanjstr wrote:Ability to set double-click to close the tab

This sounds dangerous. What if you accidently double-click when selecting a tab? Uh-oh..better "undo close tab"?

Actually, there are two preferences, double-click a tab and middle-click/cntl-click a tab. The action itself is configurable. I choose to use Close Tab for both of them. Some people might like Duplicate Tab, etc.

Chris Cook wrote:
alanjstr wrote:Ability to disable middle-click/double-click on blank area
Open new tab on far-right listbox.

Don't tell me I'm going to have to install TBE so I know what you're talking about. :)
Try those on a blank area of the tabbar (where there are no tabs). I want those clicks to be ignored unless I right-click.

Chris Cook wrote:I don't anticipate that TBE will happily coexist with any other extensions that affect tabbrowser functionality. Therefore, I'm not even going to try (initially).

Well, if you use the same preferences that Piro uses (<a href="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hotabay1/mozilla/user.js">My user.js has the ones I use</a>), then you won't conflict. Even better would be to work with him and learn from his progress.

And Undo Close Tab is really important to those of us who click before thinking.
Last edited by alanjstr on February 10th, 2003, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Stefan

Post Posted February 10th, 2003, 3:15 am

alanjstr wrote:
Chris Cook wrote:

Pretty much. There is a 'flaw' in the built in option. TBE manages to correct the situation, though it's still a little messy (the tab goes away and then returns right away). If I'm gonna use tabbed browsing, I'd like it to always be in tab mode. I hate it when tabs only appear once I launch a second one.

You mean keep tabbar open. Chris already said that will be back :)

BTW, I also agree that "undo close tab" would be nice, but it might be a bit difficoult to implement easily. Perhaps a feature for later?

alanjstr

Post Posted February 10th, 2003, 8:08 am

Stefan wrote:
alanjstr wrote:
Chris Cook wrote:

You mean keep tabbar open. Chris already said that will be back :)

BTW, I also agree that "undo close tab" would be nice, but it might be a bit difficoult to implement easily. Perhaps a feature for later?

TBE has it, darnit.

Killmaster

Post Posted February 16th, 2003, 11:35 am

Since the new phoenix builds don't have a workable preferences bar, could someone tell me what all the variables for TBE do? Here's what I can't figure out how to get back:

-Double clicking a tab reloads
-Left clicking a bookmark opens a new tab, middle clicking opens in the same tab
-Middle clicking tabbar opens a new tab
-New window opens a new window, new tab opens a new tab (I have 2 monitors, and would like to still have multiple windows when I need them)
-Location bar always opens new tab

alanjstr

Post Posted February 16th, 2003, 12:23 pm

Killmaster wrote:Since the new phoenix builds don't have a workable preferences bar, could someone tell me what all the variables for TBE do? Here's what I can't figure out how to get back:

-Double clicking a tab reloads
-Left clicking a bookmark opens a new tab, middle clicking opens in the same tab
-Middle clicking tabbar opens a new tab
-New window opens a new window, new tab opens a new tab (I have 2 monitors, and would like to still have multiple windows when I need them)
-Location bar always opens new tab

Install a January build. Set your preferences. Close Phoenix. Open the prefs.js and copy all browser.tabs lines into user.js. Now you can keep those settings even with a new profile.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hotabay1/mozilla/user.js

Return to Extension Development