MozillaZine

TBE and new Options Consolidation

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
thenightfly42

Post Posted February 7th, 2003, 10:34 am

I pulled this quote out of the Preferences Consolidation thread. Since my question is mostly OT from that, I brought it over here.
alanjstr wrote:I emailed Piro. His reply said that he will update TBE when 0.6 milestone is out. He might do it earlier. But honestly, the new interface isn't stable enough for that to happen.

TBE was updated to 1.6.2003020601, and one of the fixes is "Fixed: Destructing operations have been done correctly with Phoenix." I'm not sure what this means, but TBE does install and shows up in Tools / Options / Extensions. However, the [Settings] button is disabled. So, is this TBE or Phoenix?

(This is my first shot on a post 0201 build [0207 to be exact], and I didn't update my profile, so all of my TBE settings were transferred intact.)

And, as a side question, it seems that Piro is just kind of tolerating Phoenix.
Piro's webpage wrote:This is for Netscape 7 later or Mozilla 1.0 later. And, it tentatively works with Phoenix 0.5. (but that's only an experiment. Please don't expect my permanently support!)

Does anyone have any ideas about the relative usage between TBE and these three browsers? I'd think that Phoenix would be a significant percentage.

rbrimhall

Post Posted February 7th, 2003, 11:50 am

personally, this is the only extension that i have used with phoenix since 0.4 on a regular basis. and I really only use it to double-click and close tabs, to only have new windows open when i open them, and tab grouping... there was a post somewhere a while back that posed the possibility of incorporating select options from tbe into phoenix as default functionality... guess this doesn't answer your question but...

Goldzilla

Post Posted February 7th, 2003, 12:20 pm

thenightfly42 wrote:I pulled this quote out of the Preferences Consolidation thread. Since my question is mostly OT from that, I brought it over here.
alanjstr wrote:I emailed Piro. His reply said that he will update TBE when 0.6 milestone is out. He might do it earlier. But honestly, the new interface isn't stable enough for that to happen.

TBE was updated to 1.6.2003020601, and one of the fixes is "Fixed: Destructing operations have been done correctly with Phoenix." I'm not sure what this means, but TBE does install and shows up in Tools / Options / Extensions. However, the [Settings] button is disabled. So, is this TBE or Phoenix?

(This is my first shot on a post 0201 build [0207 to be exact], and I didn't update my profile, so all of my TBE settings were transferred intact.)

And, as a side question, it seems that Piro is just kind of tolerating Phoenix.
Piro's webpage wrote:This is for Netscape 7 later or Mozilla 1.0 later. And, it tentatively works with Phoenix 0.5. (but that's only an experiment. Please don't expect my permanently support!)

Does anyone have any ideas about the relative usage between TBE and these three browsers? I'd think that Phoenix would be a significant percentage.

Piro apparently runs on Mozilla and he must have a pretty fast machine or not use Java very much as I find the performance of Mozilla to be dreadful compared to Phoenix. That said, he responds to email eventually. I bugged him for about 6 weeks on Phoenix before he got everything working (ContextMenu and TabBrowser) reasonably well.

He has times when he is busy and times when he isn't. I send him problems and sometimes don't hear from him for a while and then all of a sudden get a batch of emails asking me to try something out or further explain a problem. I received a recent email from him to test a javascript fix for the email garbage problem and it worked. He'll put it into the next release of ContextMenu unless he decides to move it to TabBrowser.

I'm going to stick with an older nightly and TBE and ContextMenu for now. I haven't been bringing in my other laptop so I don't have a place to try new versions out. I'd like to see if I can make some progress in diagnosing memory leak problems too. I still see these in Phoenix though I'm pretty sure that the source is Mozilla. I just can't run Mozilla during the day because of the performance.

alanjstr

Post Posted February 7th, 2003, 12:21 pm

Piro is very accomodating, but it does not appear that he is a Phoenix user himself. Most people make extensions to suit their own needs, and things go from there. The comment about Phoenix being tentatively supported has been there ever since I started using TBE.

I'm not sure if anyone has figured out how to enhance Extensions to that they work with the prefs panel.

If TBE does go unsupported at some point, perhaps someone will take over. Let's cross the bridge when we get to it.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

cdn

Post Posted February 7th, 2003, 12:45 pm

alanjstr wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has figured out how to enhance Extensions to that they work with the prefs panel.

going OT ...

the 'new' Ben Goodger Pref panel ?

I've sort of worked it out ... Compact Menu 2003 02 04 should work : )

Goldzilla

Post Posted February 8th, 2003, 8:31 pm

I think that the memory problem showed up in the latest contextmenu extensions so I'm redoing Phoenix to back up one version. So I decided to take a look at the new preferences panel and see what the problem is with extensions. Well, I saw what the problem is and I'll be going back to 1/29 until the preferences panel gets settled. My other choice is to go to Mozilla.

Chris Cook

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 8:44 am

alanjstr wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has figured out how to enhance Extensions to that they work with the prefs panel.

If TBE does go unsupported at some point, perhaps someone will take over. Let's cross the bridge when we get to it.

I have started to work on my TBELite extension (which I am tentatively calling "Tabbrower Preferences"). I have the prefs panel working in the new options dialog, which was the easiest part.

The intended purpose of my theme is to re-instate some tabbed browsing GUI preferences, as well as adding a feature or 2 (like opening a tab instead of a window for target=blank links), that I believe should be in the browser by default. I am still trying to determine which prefs and features to implement but I may release an early version when I get some functionality.

Feel free to post feature/preference suggestions for what you think should be in a "lite" extension. I am not really interested in adding much new functionality like TBE but just giving myself and others a little more control over tab behavior.

Stefan

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 9:09 am

Chris Cook wrote:Feel free to post feature/preference suggestions for what you think should be in a "lite" extension. I am not really interested in adding much new functionality like TBE but just giving myself and others a little more control over tab behavior.

Greate initiative :)

For feature suggestions

* Pref for opening target _blank should have 3 options | New window | New tab | Current tab |
* Open bookmark & history in new tab should adhere to "open in background" setting or have their own prefsetting (currently it ALWAYS opens in the foreground).
* Perhaps the ability to make the sidebarbuttons open up their respective XUL page in a tab instead?

That's what I could think of right now. Will probably come up with more later on :)

MoNkaholic

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 10:39 am

1) Implement some sort of rudimentary drag and drop in regard to tabs.

2) There was another thread about having a tab that gets dragged out of the browser window become a new window, which I found rather sexy... but I guess that's for Piro(?) since your not adding any new functionality.

Chris Cook

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 10:41 am

To help things along, here are the prefs I have come up with so far.
Code: Select all
== Tab Bar Behavior ==========================

[ ] Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open

== Tab Behavior ==============================

[ ] Open new tabs at the home page

== Link Behavior =============================

Load links in [New Window|New Tab|Current Browser]
Load bookmarks in [New Window|New Tab|Current Browser]  <== (Perhaps history and bookmarks could be controlled with this pref...without saying so?)

Stefan

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 10:50 am

Chris Cook wrote:== Tab Behavior ==============================

Couldn't that be perhaps
New tabs open | blank page | home page | duplicate current |

Chris Cook

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 11:22 am

Stefan wrote:
Chris Cook wrote:== Tab Behavior ==============================

Couldn't that be perhaps
New tabs open | blank page | home page | duplicate current |

How often do you view the same web page in multiple browsers? Why would you want to?

ph

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 12:16 pm

It's a very good news for me that somebody's going to create smth like TBE supporting the new builds. I like TBE and can not use Px w/o it.

As for the features:

1. Tabs at the bottom/top (switchable). I like to have tabs at the bottom because it's easier to look through many open document in Px and other applications when their buttons are all together.
2. Duplicate tab in new tab/window.
3. Choice what is open in new tab (blank/home/current)
4. Undo close tab.
5.Single window mode (on/off)

The others are not so important for me.

sjrowland

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 4:35 pm

The features I would like are:-

1) TabBar at Top/Bottom
2) Where new tabs are opened: to the right/left of current, last/first tab etc.
3) Focus when tab is closed: To the left/right of closed tab, last read tab etc.
4) Re-Order Of tabs by drag and drop.
5) All new tabs to obey the open fore/background setting and an easy way to toggle this (proberly best suited to an additional button in trivial).

Don't know if this is to many for lite - perhaps should wait for TBE to be coded to work with the new preferences :-)

alanjstr

Post Posted February 9th, 2003, 6:26 pm

Single-Window Mode
Undo Close Tab
Duplicate Tab
Warn when exiting if multiple tabs are open
New tab shows... (blank/homepage/etc)
Always show at least one tab (combination of several prefs)
The whole "Focus of Tabs" section
Ability to set double-click to close the tab
Ability to disable middle-click/double-click on blank area
Open new tab on far-right listbox.

Ok, those are my top 10. You realize that when taking them all into consideration, you'll wind up with most of TBE.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Return to Extension Development