MozillaZine

Open In New Tab (Default for all Target=New links)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
djspark

Post Posted February 3rd, 2003, 5:21 pm

Does anyone have an extension, or has thought about making an extension that would take all of the <A target="new"> and make the default to open in a new tab verses a new tab...

Thanks,
Mark

Chris Cook

Post Posted February 3rd, 2003, 6:39 pm

djspark wrote:Does anyone have an extension, or has thought about making an extension that would take all of the <A target="new"> and make the default to open in a new tab verses a new tab...

Thanks,
Mark

I plan to make an extension that enables this (if someone doesn't beat me to it) once the changes to the options dialog start settling. This is a pref I think should be in the browser by default.

fingerprint

Post Posted February 3rd, 2003, 6:58 pm

Doesn't TBE have this option?

Chris Cook

Post Posted February 3rd, 2003, 7:05 pm

fingerprint wrote:Doesn't TBE have this option?

Sure, but TBE is way too bloated IMO.

djspark

Post Posted February 3rd, 2003, 9:10 pm

Chris Cook wrote:
djspark wrote:Does anyone have an extension, or has thought about making an extension that would take all of the <A target="new"> and make the default to open in a new tab verses a new tab...

Thanks,
Mark

I plan to make an extension that enables this (if someone doesn't beat me to it) once the changes to the options dialog start settling. This is a pref I think should be in the browser by default.

yeah I agree, this should mos def be a default pref in the core install... But until then I'd like a nice thin extension to provide this :)

thanks alot,
djspark

alanjstr

Post Posted February 3rd, 2003, 11:15 pm

TBE has lots of great features. Why don't you just trim out the ones you don't like, instead of starting from scratch.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

agamid

Post Posted February 4th, 2003, 12:58 am

Chris Cook wrote:
fingerprint wrote:Doesn't TBE have this option?

Sure, but TBE is way too bloated IMO.

wow. first people talk about phoenix getting bloated... now it's the extensions to phoenix getting bloated...
we should make extensions to extensions... but then they too will someday get bloated. what to do? what to do?

fingerprint

Post Posted February 4th, 2003, 1:53 am

agamid wrote:wow. first people talk about phoenix getting bloated... now it's the extensions to phoenix getting bloated...we should make extensions to extensions... but then they too will someday get bloated. what to do? what to do?

I love all the options TBE has. If it has lots of options then something is bloated, if it has too few people always ask for more. Seems it's hard to please everyone. The XPI installer for TBE is like 150KB and it's bloated? lol

seb

Post Posted February 4th, 2003, 2:12 am

alanjstr wrote:TBE has lots of great features.
Yup, lots. Last time I downloaded it, when I saw the options available, I wondered if I had downloaded Mozilla or Emacs instead.

agamid

Post Posted February 4th, 2003, 5:14 am

okay. I confess to not using all of tbe features. I use a lot, but not all. I definitely don't use tab groups, but that's because I don't understand them. actually, I haven't even played around with them. anyway, tbe is only 148k. is that too big?

tve

Post Posted February 4th, 2003, 5:31 am

Netsabes wrote:
alanjstr wrote:TBE has lots of great features.
Yup, lots. Last time I downloaded it, when I saw the options available, I wondered if I had downloaded Mozilla or Emacs instead.

lmao :)

I would be happy to see this extension until it will finally be a default option in PX =]
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>

dunda

Post Posted February 4th, 2003, 6:09 am

One day I came home from work and found TBE in bed with my wife.

This bloatware has gone too far!

j/k TBE is great.

Chris Cook

Post Posted February 4th, 2003, 9:33 am

alanjstr wrote:TBE has lots of great features. Why don't you just trim out the ones you don't like, instead of starting from scratch.

I agree that TBE has lots of great features, and I used to use it in its earlier incarnations. However, it seems to be becoming a bit too unwieldy for my personal taste. It is starting to remind me of Moz. :) Some of the features Piro is adding seem more appropriate for a new extension but are added to TBE either out of laziness (to create a new extension) or to rely on the popularity of TBE to get people to use the new features.

I would create this new extension for my own personal use as I don't need all those features, though I'm sure others use them. If anyone else wants to use the extension then that's a bonus.

As for your question, have you looked at TBE? Trimming it down at this point could take more work (except perhaps by Piro) than starting from scratch. :) I thought about creating a TBELite (with Piro's permission), but we'll see.

johnh123

Post Posted February 4th, 2003, 9:34 am

agamid wrote:I definitely don't use tab groups, but that's because I don't understand them. actually, I haven't even played around with them.

I am in the same boat as you. Anyone who uses tab groups care to share with us what they are good for?

Toxikk

Post Posted February 5th, 2003, 12:35 pm

i just wish tbe would work in the new nightlies with the new pref panel :(

Return to Extension Development