MozillaZine

Per-Extension Preferences

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Chris Cook

Post Posted February 3rd, 2003, 9:52 am

maubp wrote:
ehume wrote:Please make sure that you include the name and version number of the extension in the template. That way, an absent-minded user like me will know if I need to upgrade if I can't remember whether the version I have is the same as the newest version that is out.

I would go one step further - extension version number should be at the same top level as "Name", "Description" and "Author", and be shown on the Extensions page of the options.

In fact I think this should apply to themes as well.

I agree. Themes are subject to version changes as much as extensions (especially with new theme developers...like myself).

Additionally, has anyone considered having "theme preferences"? If themes were allowed to have preferences also, then optional stylesheets or xbl could be implemented in a gui (I think) rather than requiring the user to modify their userChrome.css (which they may not even know about). I think this would be a useful thing if done correctly.

fittysix

Post Posted February 6th, 2003, 1:41 pm

ok while i know nothing about this, this is just a possibility that i think could be implimented

The old way of doing it the extenions created a new item in the tree and had a pref panel in that node right?
so can't we just make phoenix look for where it creates that item... and put all the stuff in that pref panel into a dialoge automatically. This would create a backward compatability and make extension creating the same as it was.
However, alongside the above, allow authors to create thier own custom dialogues (the new method)

the only thing i would think wrong with this is stuff like TBE wich branches off Tabbed Browsing and creates like 5 items... maybe put some window tabs in for extensions that create multiple items

edit... wow in all the typing i managed to not put any real punctuation in... it's still bad

cdn

Post Posted February 6th, 2003, 2:51 pm

fittysix wrote:ok while i know nothing about this, this is just a possibility that i think could be implimented

The old way of doing it the extenions created a new item in the tree and had a pref panel in that node right?
so can't we just make phoenix look for where it creates that item... and put all the stuff in that pref panel into a dialoge automatically. This would create a backward compatability and make extension creating the same as it was.
However, alongside the above, allow authors to create thier own custom dialogues (the new method)

this would require Ben (or someone) to add another rdf attribute to trigger customDialog(ue) mode

old-style panels and new-style non-custom dialogues would need to be wrapped in a xul file :

pseudo-
Code: Select all

<dialog>
<!-- suitable script to deal with _elementIDs[] -->
<script />
<!-- iframe a la old-style pref panel -->
<iframe/>
</dialog>

Stefan

Post Posted February 6th, 2003, 4:13 pm

Chris Cook wrote:
Additionally, has anyone considered having "theme preferences"? If themes were allowed to have preferences also, then optional stylesheets or xbl could be implemented in a gui (I think) rather than requiring the user to modify their userChrome.css (which they may not even know about). I think this would be a useful thing if done correctly.

I've been pushing for this for a veeeery long time. I do hope it will be implemented as it's an excellent idea IMO :)

cdn

Post Posted February 7th, 2003, 1:55 am

Stefan wrote:
Chris Cook wrote:

I've been pushing for this for a veeeery long time. I do hope it will be implemented as it's an excellent idea IMO :)

this is not unlike the subskins that are present in Phoenity,

but before tbfka P[hoeni]x and its many themes, Orbit * and IE skins for Moz had(and still have : )) additional stylesheets which could/can be @imported in userChrome.css to adjust the look'n'feel

Return to Extension Development