MozillaZine

Netscape Java Plug-in error ?????

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
spencerjw

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 12:53 pm

This I believe has to do with an extension that I installed this morning but not sure which one...

Everytime that I start Phoenix I now get an error, the rror reads:

"Java Plug-in for Netscape Navigator should not be used in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Please use Java Plug-in for Microsoft Internet Explorer instead."

Comments/Suggestions as to how to keep this error from appearing. Even if I have to uiinstall the extension that'd be fine, just no idea which one is causing the issue.

TIA!
Spencer
<a href mailto:="spencer@design-studios.com">spencer@design-studios.com</a>

FYI, please respond via email if possible, I don't get to cehck the forum all that often

alanjstr

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 1:25 pm

You changed your user agent and the Java Runtime doesn't like it. If you are unable to start Phoenix at all, find your profile and edit prefs.js to remove the user agent override.

You can tell the forums to notify you when someone replies. I'll email you to come here.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

spencerjw

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 1:27 pm

alanjstr wrote:You changed your user agent and the Java Runtime doesn't like it. You can tell the forums to notify you when someone replies. I'll email you to come here.

Yeah, I figured that out, the forums told me you replied.

How do I best go about fisinx the User Agent to correct the RunTime error?

alanjstr

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 1:28 pm

spencerjw wrote:
alanjstr wrote:You changed your user agent and the Java Runtime doesn't like it. You can tell the forums to notify you when someone replies. I'll email you to come here.

Yeah, I figured that out, the forums told me you replied.

How do I best go about fisinx the User Agent to correct the RunTime error?

You got here before I finished editing my reply. Please see above.

spencerjw

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 1:34 pm

alanjstr wrote:You changed your user agent and the Java Runtime doesn't like it. If you are unable to start Phoenix at all, find your profile and edit prefs.js to remove the user agent override.

You can tell the forums to notify you when someone replies. I'll email you to come here.

Phoenix runs just fine after I accept the error, but obviously it's rather annoying everytime I restart tit though to see that error. I searched therough the prefs.jr file but didn;t see anything that obviously jumped out at me that needed to be edited to fix this problem.

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm rather new to Mozilla specifically, just trying to learn.

spencerjw

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 1:38 pm

The only thing close to what you are describing is this line -
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)");

But if I edit it or even remove it when I satart Phoenix up again it replaces it just as it was while still getting the Java error.

alanjstr

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Do you have a user.js? Can you change the userAgent back to the right thing via the extension? You could try disabling Java for a while. Or just make a new profile.

spencerjw

Post Posted January 30th, 2003, 8:12 am

alanjstr wrote:Do you have a user.js? Can you change the userAgent back to the right thing via the extension? You could try disabling Java for a while. Or just make a new profile.

Yes I do have that file, and I tried to change the line:
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)");

to instead read:
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021228 Phoenix/0.5 ")

As stated in the forum <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3675">here</a>, but once I saved the file and reloaded Pheonix is changed it back to the MSIE useragent entry...so I'm still stuck.....

alanjstr

Post Posted January 30th, 2003, 8:25 am

spencerjw wrote:
alanjstr wrote:Do you have a user.js? Can you change the userAgent back to the right thing via the extension? You could try disabling Java for a while. Or just make a new profile.

Yes I do have that file, and I tried to change the line:

to instead read:
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021228 Phoenix/0.5 ")

As stated in the forum <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3675">here</a>, but once I saved the file and reloaded Pheonix is changed it back to the MSIE useragent entry...so I'm still stuck.....

Try creating a second user (phoenix.exe -ProfileManager). If the second user isn't affected, try copying over your bookmarks and then deleting the original profile. That's the easiest solution.

spencerjw

Post Posted January 30th, 2003, 8:28 am

alanjstr wrote:phoenix.exe -ProfileManager

Ok, newvie question here I believe. I'm not using a Linux OS of any sort, it's Win2k (ok, flame me now) so can I still use your solution?

alanjstr

Post Posted January 30th, 2003, 8:49 am

spencerjw wrote:
alanjstr wrote:phoenix.exe -ProfileManager

Ok, newvie question here I believe. I'm not using a Linux OS of any sort, it's Win2k (ok, flame me now) so can I still use your solution?

I'm using Win2k, too. Linux doesn't have .exe.

run "C:\program files\phoenix\phoenix.exe -ProfileManager" (assuming that's where you installed it and that I spelled it all right)

spencerjw

Post Posted January 30th, 2003, 9:00 am

alanjstr wrote:I'm using Win2k, too. Linux doesn't have .exe.

run "C:\program files\phoenix\phoenix.exe -ProfileManager" (assuming that's where you installed it and that I spelled it all right)

Awesome, I think that that worked.

The problem I had I believe was that I forgot to close Phoenix down before trying to run that command, all it did before was open a new tab.

I'll get things working again finally.

THANKS A TON!

alanjstr

Post Posted January 30th, 2003, 9:11 am

spencerjw wrote:The problem I had I believe was that I forgot to close Phoenix down before trying to run that command, all it did before was open a new tab.

Ooops. Forgot to mention that.

HW71

Post Posted January 31st, 2003, 1:44 am

spencerjw wrote:The problem I had I believe was that I forgot to close Phoenix down before trying to run that command, all it did before was open a new tab.

And that was probably also the problem with editing the *.js-files? As if you edit these files while Phoenix is still running, it might overwrite the files again with the old values after closing - but I'm not sure though...

spencerjw

Post Posted January 31st, 2003, 7:07 am

HW71 wrote:And that was probably also the problem with editing the *.js-files? As if you edit these files while Phoenix is still running, it might overwrite the files again with the old values after closing - but I'm not sure though...

I don't think so because I had tried it so many times and in different ways too.

However, all is good and everything works. thanks again guys!

Return to Extension Development