MozillaZine

Will LeechGet monitor browser clicks in Phoenix?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
rsnidjik

Post Posted January 18th, 2003, 4:36 pm

I've got the LeechGet plugin installed, but it still doesn't seem to monitor browser clicks in Phoenix. I'd like it to behave as it does by default in IE; in other words, catch a download every time I click on a download link. As it stands, I have to intervene myself, using Copy Link Location.

I put the Mozilla plugin for LeechGet in the Phoenix Plugins folder. Is there something else I need to do?

nelius

Post Posted January 20th, 2003, 8:42 am

you need to install the mozilla plugin and then rund the provided setup app to point the file to the phoenix plugindir...you'll probably get an error or message when you open the setupap saying that the file could not be found.... but just point the app to the pluginfolder and you're good to go... works like a charm at my setup

rsnidjik

Post Posted January 22nd, 2003, 7:05 am

Thanks for the post, nelius. Unfortunately, things don't seem to be working on my setup.

I am able to right-click and copy the dl link to my clipboard, and LeechGet is able to use that.

If I left-click, I get a message in the Phoenix window saying "Download has been catched (sic) by LeechGet.. Click 'Previous' to go back and keep browsing." However, LeechGet never does anything after that.

I'm using the Dec. 28 build of Phoenix, and the latest version of LeechGet 2002 (build 1450). The plugin says "LeechGet 2001 plugin", but I'm assuming that doesn't matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-R. Snidjik

old Neil Parks

Post Posted January 22nd, 2003, 7:39 am

rsnidjik wrote:If I left-click, I get a message in the Phoenix window saying "Download has been catched (sic) by LeechGet.. Click 'Previous' to go back and keep browsing." However, LeechGet never does anything after that.

I'm using the Dec. 28 build of Phoenix, and the latest version of LeechGet 2002 (build 1450). The plugin says "LeechGet 2001 plugin", but I'm assuming that doesn't matter.

-R. Snidjik

I tried same combination (Ph 12/28, Leechget 1450, plugin 2001), and Leechget did download what it was supposed to download.

I had other reasons for dumping the pgm. For one thing, I don't like that big hideous icon that it sticks on the screen and which can't be removed. Worse than that, every time a download completed, Leechget would not give its "resources" back to Windows, even if I exited from it completely (no big screen icon and no system tray icon).

Good thing I had Resource Monitor going to let me know what was happening and warn me to reboot. Otherwise I'd be wondering why the computer would keep locking up after every download.

So far I have tried about 5 different download managers, and Lightning and Star seem to work better for me than the others.

Star Downloader, like Leechget, is freeware. It has a netscape plugin that integrates reasonably well with Phoenix. (Just move npstar.dll from Star's home directory to the Ph plugins dir.)

If the plugin misses a file for some reason (as it sometimes does with EXE's), the clipboard monitor will get it. Star even uses the same "go back and keep browsing" screen, but without the misspelling.

raddygast

Post Posted January 22nd, 2003, 9:31 am

LeechGet has been nothin' but buttah for me.

You can get rid of that big icon. It's in the options somewhere. I have not yet integrated it with Phoenix, since I only use it for big DL's that I wanna be able to resume and use multiple streams on (to speed up) so I just copy link to, then create a new download in LeechGet and say "From Clipboard", and if LG is already running, it usually captures any pastes of URL's to clipboard so it's pretty automatic for me.

Return to Extension Development