MozillaZine

I *love* the Radial ContextMenu Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
TSmithwick

Post Posted January 16th, 2003, 2:40 pm

After just a few tips popped up, it all started making sense. This is faster and easier to use and learn than mouse gestures, with the GUI menu right there - and tooltips, too. The motions have started being automatic.
I knew I had to say something when I started trying to use the 'close tab' motion in Notepad. :mrgreen:
/------------------------------------\
| All interpretations are the |
| responsibility of the interpreter. |
\------------------------------------/

papabean

Post Posted January 17th, 2003, 2:58 am

You'll find that once you start using it you can never go back again. I'm constantly screwing up my computer and reinstalling OS's. (Actually, I just like reinstalling.) Radial context is one of the first browser extensions I miss.

When I use my wife's computer I instinctively try right-click-dragging to the left and alas, IE just doesn't do that.

Killmaster

Post Posted January 17th, 2003, 4:19 pm

This thread needs more love.

I've never touched mouse gestures, but radialcontext doesn't make me want to try anything else...

bellgamin

Post Posted January 17th, 2003, 5:31 pm

I use a touch pad so mouse gestures do not work.

What is the likelihood that radialcontext might work with my touch pad?

TSmithwick

Post Posted January 17th, 2003, 9:30 pm

*Definitely* worth a shot. One problem might be that the best way to use Radial Context Menus (a mouthful, isn't it?) is to right-click and hold, moving the cursor to the target(s) and releasing.

This may not be very convenient for touchpad use, at least for most I've seen, with the buttons below the touch surface. Then again, my manual dexterity is - *bad*. :(

Luckily, they do have a mode for which a single right-click brings up a menu, then the cursor is moved and/or right-clicked and/or left-clicked. Sounds much more complicated than it is, it actually simplifies tab use (for example) to the point of being automatic. As I've said, I caught myself trying to use it in another program.

I wonder just how difficult it would be to implement for some other programs?

An example of tab use: Right-click and hold on a link, move right a few (dozen?) pixels, and release. The link is now loading in a new tab. Moving left instead of right would have started a new window with that link.
/------------------------------------\
| All interpretations are the |
| responsibility of the interpreter. |
\------------------------------------/

bellgamin

Post Posted January 17th, 2003, 10:02 pm

TS - Thanks. I gave it a try. Very nice, but I lack the manual dexterity to enjoy using it with my touchpad. It DOES tempt me to again try a mouse, but... *I hate meeses to pieces!*

shaloha.......bellgamin

Insurgent

Post Posted January 18th, 2003, 12:15 pm

I too find myself unable to live without this extension. Cool looking, yet extremely functional and easy to use.
While I've found it's more difficult to use on a laptop touchpad, I still use it there as well. Just mostly for first-level functions. You just need to practise a little doing it one-handed (if you laptop configuration is suitable for this) by clicking the right buttom with your thumb and index finger to gesture. The "jumpiness" of touchpads prevent your from getting to second-level menus fast and reliably but you can always hold down ctl to get the normal menu.
Anyway, hats off to Jens for the most extension ever!

jefu

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 8:22 am

I love radial context. Enough so that its wired into my fingers. When I try to use IE or something without it I get lost - "Now how do you do that again?"

When 0.5 came out I tried to install it and it didn't work (I think it was a Linux only problem). I was sufficiently lost that I spent about 4 hours figuring out why and fixing it.

By the way, I use it on a touchpad by doing the right click and touch and have learned interesting ways to stretch my right hand around to make things work right.

Return to Extension Development