MozillaZine

Uninstalling Extensions (In Particular, Mouse Gestures)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
jaon

Post Posted December 19th, 2002, 2:37 am

I reformatted the other day, and I backed up my phoenix folder (This is Mandrake 9, btw) by just copying it.
This preserved my themes and most of my extensions, but mouse gestures isn't working. In the extensions section in the control panel, it says it's working and activated, but it does not work at all.

So I went to reinstall it (www.texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html), but it still doesn't work. I tried deleting the files (/chrome/mozgest), and trying again, still doesn't work. (Running as root, btw)
Also, when it's installing the extension, I think it must be installing it from a cache somewhere, even though I reformatted, because it's loading at least ten times as fast as it used to.

Doesn anyone have any ideas about how to fix it, or how to uninstall just the extension, (Not completely uninstall Phoenix), because I don't want to lose my themes, prefrences and extensions

Thanks for your help

Richard

Post Posted December 29th, 2002, 10:30 pm

jaon wrote:I reformatted the other day, and I backed up my phoenix folder (This is Mandrake 9, btw) by just copying it.
. . .
So I went to reinstall it (www.texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html), but it still doesn't work. I tried deleting the files (/chrome/mozgest),
. . .
Doesn anyone have any ideas about how to fix it, or how to uninstall just the extension, (Not completely uninstall Phoenix), because I don't want to lose my themes, prefrences and extensions

Hope that reinstalling worked for you --see this has been here a while with no answer.
In my short experience with Phoenix, someone mentioned that it's good to keep an older, working installation when installing a new nightly, by renaming the /opt/phoenix directory (or wherever you keep it) to something like /opt/phoenix25dec then copying in the new /phoenix/ directory.
If it presents problems, simply renaming the new /phoenix/ and changing phoenix25dec/ to /phoenix/, you're back in business.

I also zip up my profile info [bookmarks.html and user.js] from: /home/richard/.phoenix/default/<xxxxxxxx.slt>/
and [*.css, any background gifs, and passwords (<numbers>.s ]
from: /home/richard/.phoenix/default/<xxxxxxxx.slt>/chrome/
In case I want/need to recreate the ~/profile.

I only use mozgest.xpi from http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/extensions/
since the latest version from the optimoz site doesn't work for me. To install, I only have to set /opt/phoenix/chrome/ to world read/write, then File--Open and look for mozgest.xpi where I keep it.

Hope this helps.

Richard.

laszlo

Post Posted December 30th, 2002, 7:18 pm

jaon wrote:Doesn anyone have any ideas about how to fix it, or how to uninstall just the extension, (Not completely uninstall Phoenix), because I don't want to lose my themes, prefrences and extensions

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... 2578#22578

ehume

Post Posted December 30th, 2002, 9:23 pm

jaon wrote:Doesn anyone have any ideas about how to fix it, or how to uninstall just the extension, (Not completely uninstall Phoenix), because I don't want to lose my themes, prefrences and extensions

Thanks for your help
1. Copy these files: bookmark.html, formhistory.dat, cookies.txt, prefs.js and any custom file you have made. Paste them somewhere safe. Copy and save any theme jar files you want to keep.

2. Wipe away your installation directory and profile (usually Default).

3. Unzip a good build (e.g.--2002-12-28), start it, and close it.

4. Drop formhistory.dat and cookies.txt into your profile xxxxxxxx.slt directory.

5. Restart the browser and use Manage Bookmarks to import the bookmarks from your old bookmarks file.

6. Use the theme installation utility on Phoenix Help to reinstall the themes from the jar files you have saved (or download/install new ones).

7. Reinstall your extensions from the web.

You should be ready to go. If I've missed something or gotten something wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me soon.

Return to Extension Development