MozillaZine

Tabbed Browser Extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
laszlo

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 11:20 am

leoz wrote:I am just curious here - noone else other than me mentions the "Undo close tab" feature as one of the ones they use - but for me, it is absolutely essential. Is it just that I am more impulsive about closing my tabs then other people? :).

How could I forget that? Add it to the ones I use...

David James wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Shift+Ctrl+Left Click is not different thatn Ctrl+Left Click with TBE installed? That's a little annoying as there are times when I do want to fork the link into the foreground...

Yes, that's the only disadvantage with TBE for me.

Stefan

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 11:22 am

Single window mode should definitly be in default Phoenix preferences (of cource still alowing the user the ability to open a new window, but nothing doing it automatically).

Tab reordeing not beeing available is also strange for me, since I've had that feature in Excel the last 5 years or so. However if I'm only supposed to choose 2 things to be put in by default the "undo close tab" functionallity is probably more usable then reordering tabs in everyday browsing.

In short I would like to see
"Single window mode" and "undo close tab"
in default Phoenix installations.

They really make sence even for average Joe IMO.

flii

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 11:37 am

yep, reading over the posts, i found the other feature i would like - the reorder tabs. many times i've wished i could move a new main tab closer to the front. i agree with stefan that a lot of people could probably use the single-window mode and the undo close tabs and these should be included.

rbrimhall

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 11:42 am

alanjstr wrote:
rbrimhal wrote:single window mode for me... as well as the context menu extensions when right-clicking on tab

Err, which of those context extensions in particular?

err, all of them? if i had to choose... new tab, reload, dupe tab, dupe in new window (just in case), Lock tabs, permissions, close

alanjstr

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 11:55 am

David James wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Shift+Ctrl+Left Click is not different thatn Ctrl+Left Click with TBE installed? That's a little annoying as there are times when I do want to fork the link into the foreground...

Dunno. I use shift+middle-click if I want it to open in the foreground (though I rarely do)

flii

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 1:44 pm

rbrimhal wrote:(...)dupe tab(...)

tbe lets you make a new tab with the current tab's history? if so, wow. i've wanted this for a long time. maybe i'll actually install it and to heck with bugs!

leoz

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 1:48 pm

Flii wrote:

tbe lets you make a new tab with the current tab's history? if so, wow. i've wanted this for a long time. maybe i'll actually install it and to heck with bugs!

What bugs? Works great for me.

No, it doesn't make a new tab with the current tab's history - but it makes a nice new tab with the same page as current one with clean history. However, that's good enough for me. Normally what happens is I want to go back to a previous page, so I dupe current tab, then go back and still have what i was reading in the new tab.

flii

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 1:50 pm

leoz wrote:
Flii wrote:

What bugs? Works great for me.[...]

i mean my ability to post about phoenix/mozilla bugs with confidence because i have no extensions and such. if i install tbe, i lose that. i wasn't saying tbe was filled with bugs. sorry about my word choice.

seb

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 1:57 pm

Flii wrote:i mean my ability to post about phoenix/mozilla bugs with confidence because i have no extensions and such. if i install tbe, i lose that. i wasn't saying tbe was filled with bugs. sorry about my word choice.
I haven't tried that, but you can probably just create a second profile (in which extensions are disabled). You'll just have to switch to this profile to check if bugs happen with no extension used.

shimage

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 8:17 pm

alanjstr wrote:

Dunno. I use shift+middle-click if I want it to open in the foreground (though I rarely do)

i love you.

alanjstr

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 8:23 pm

shimage wrote:
alanjstr wrote:

i love you.

If you're going to proposition me, shouldn't you do it via a personal message?

macfly

Post Posted December 10th, 2002, 6:21 am

i'd like to see an autosave & restore on startup-feature like TBE for mozilla does.

jcmkk

Post Posted December 11th, 2002, 4:08 pm

My favorites are single window mode, reordering tabs (probably the most used), undo close, and double-click on tab closes it (only useful on my linux box).

Hanna

Post Posted December 12th, 2002, 1:55 am

Being able to chose opening new window links in new tabs, and javascript windows in new windows. Reordering tabs and undo close tab are also quite useful.

It's been awhile since I tried single window mode but I think it's something a lot of people would like without having to install TBE.

alanjstr

Post Posted December 16th, 2002, 9:59 pm

I submitted http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=185743 to request Single Window Mode. If there's any details you'd like to add, please do.

Return to Extension Development