MozillaZine

Digger functionality from the Go button

Talk about add-ons and extension development.

Would you like the Digger functionality from the Go button?

yes
89%
no, keep Digger as a seperate button
11%

Total votes : 36

clav

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 6:30 pm

Would anyone be interested in having the functionality of Digger accessible from the Go button on the toolbar? i.e. when you right-clicked on the Go button it would pop-up the Digger menu

This would help stop Digger from clashing with themes other than the current classic, as well as reducing the number of buttons on the toolbar.

You can get Digger from my home page or from Phoenix Help

priior

Post Posted December 1st, 2002, 6:37 pm

i think that would be a great idea!

shimage

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 1:15 am

what exactly does the go button <i>do</i> anyway? it's something i've never been able to figure out. (unless it loads whatever happens to be in the address bar, but that's pretty useless...)

djst

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 1:53 am

shimage wrote:what exactly does the go button <i>do</i> anyway? it's something i've never been able to figure out. (unless it loads whatever happens to be in the address bar, but that's pretty useless...)

It's the equivalent for pressing Enter. Not all newbie surfers out there were aware of the fact that you needed to press Enter after typing an address. I believe usability studies by Microsoft showed the need for this button. Power users rarely use this button I think, but this new right-click feature (digger) sounds like a reason for us to use it too.

flii

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 7:13 am

i personally use the go button so i don't have to move my lazy hand away from the mouse to hit the enter key. ;) i think that's about the only reason i have it. lol.

clav

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 9:17 am

i occasionally paste a url into the url bar via the context menu and then hit Go rather than reaching for the keyboard. Of course a lot of the time i can just drag the url to the tab bar instead, but that doesn't work if it has leading or trailing spaces

David James

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 11:25 am

I had to rebuild Digger with the old Diggler icon to get it look right with the Pinball theme, as well as not to inflate the size of the toolbar, so I would definitely be in favour of this tweak. However, a theme-neutral icon (like Diggler's) would do it as well.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3

alanjstr

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 12:43 pm

Just make sure that people know to show the Go button. I don't display mine. Of course I don't use Digger either. It's just that if someone is used to seeing a seperate button and it goes away, they'll ask why. That's what FAQs are all about.

Thumper

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 4:07 pm

I'd love it from the Go button. I don't use it currently because of the extra button and all, but I love my Go button (severe laziness when doing something URL-related that doesn't involve typing) and it seems like a logical place to put it.

- Chris

ehume

Post Posted December 3rd, 2002, 10:31 pm

David's comment about the size of the icon is important, I think. I've noticed that on themes where the large icons are not very large (e.g.--MZ), the Digger and QuickPrefs icons can cause the theme to take up unnecessary vertical real estate. Putting their functionality on theme-neutral buttons (Digger on the Go button, QuickPrefs on Home, for example) would avoid that.

I like the idea.

Ed

edcatmur

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 7:54 am

I'm voting against.

Simple reason - Digger sits to the left of the address bar, the Go button to the right. To me this is the most natural way to have things.

To me, the 'wrong size buttons' argument is interesting, and I do agree that it can be a problem - I use Phoenity with small icons - but I don't feel that this is the right way to solve it. IMO, added functionality should be as visible as possible; and there will always be cases when an extension needs a new toolbar button or buttons. For example, QPrefs - the idea of the QPrefs menu being accessible from the Home button is totally nonsensical (IMO, natch) as the two functions are totally unconnected.

It seems to me that a lot of the problems with wrong size buttons can be avoided by better design of the themes themselves. Theme designers should acknowledge that users will have extra buttons not anticipated by their theme, and that by and large these buttons will be designed in the 'Phoenix-Modern' style.

For instance, compare Phoenity with Breeze (both in 'small icons' mode). The two themes have icons of roughly the same size; if anything, Breeze's icons are smaller than those of Phoenity; but as soon as one adds the QPrefs button to a Breeze toolbar it increases in size a lot more than the corrseponding Phoenity toolbar (presumably the Breeze theme has more padding round toolbar buttons). It therefore seems to me that it might be possible for theme designers to accomodate extra buttons better.

richwklein

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 7:55 am

I would love that function. It would be nice if it followed the theme logic though. An example: the normal modern them has a drop down arrow for buttons with submenus, the phusion them uses the right click. It would be nice if it followed that same sort of logic.

priior

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 12:16 pm

another solution would be to create theme neutral SMALL buttons (shade of grey.. one colour) (kinda liekthe digger button in mozilla). this way they wouldnt interfere with anything. (horiz/vert real estate, themes, etc..)

richwklein

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 8:01 am

Does anyone know if you can change a toolbarbutton type with an overlay. If you can, it would be nice if it was a preference in digger to either be a seperate button or overlay the <b>go</b> button.

ehume

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 8:04 am

Why a button at all? Right now, when you right-click anywhere on the toolbar, you get a single-item dropdown menu: Customize. The Digger functionality could be added to that dropdown menu. This would be a good option, because it would allow us to work with fewer buttons, each one of which takes up precious screen space.

Why a Go button at all? Well, I like to relax when I browse. That means leaning back in my chair with my feet up on something. Having the Go button means that i don't have to take my feet off the what they're on, lean forward and use the keyboard. It's not so much laziness as being in a relaxed mode.

Ed

Return to Extension Development