MozillaZine

Problems with Online-Banking

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Dante

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 10:32 am

Hi,

i got some problems with online-banking and Mozilla 1.2 (or Phoenix 0.4).

If i want to log in, the online-banking site tells me to enable cookies, but i do have enabled cookies for that page.

I read about an extension for phoenix in this forum which is called "uabar" (User Agent Toolbar). I installed it and changed my User Agent String - but it doesn't work.

Is there another extension which can solve my problems? Or do i have to wait for an upgrade of my bank (which could mean long waiting ;-))?

Regards,

Dante

michel v

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 11:11 am

Please give the name and URL of your bank, so that standards evangelists could check the code and address that issue with the bank.

jyost

Post Posted December 17th, 2002, 10:22 pm

I know that Citibank online banking does not work with mozilla (at least for me). I tried using prefbar, but that didn't help, unfortunately. Citibank is now the only site that I need to use IE with.

Here's the page that tells you Mozilla is <a href="http://home.da-us.citibank.com/da/whatdo/index.htm">insecure</a>.

dakboy

Post Posted December 17th, 2002, 10:28 pm

jyost wrote:I know that Citibank online banking does not work with mozilla (at least for me). I tried using prefbar, but that didn't help, unfortunately. Citibank is now the only site that I need to use IE with.

Here's the page that tells you Mozilla is <a href="http://home.da-us.citibank.com/da/whatdo/index.htm">insecure</a>.

I clicked both the Check Encryption and Check JavaScript buttons and passed the tests. According to CitiBank's test pages I can log in. When I actually do click the Log In button, it tells me I can't.

Left hand, meet right hand. Perhaps you'd each like to discuss your work?

Moz 1.2.1/Win2K Server

jyost

Post Posted December 18th, 2002, 8:52 pm

I called Citibank last night about this. They said in no uncertain terms that they had zero plans to support netscape beyond 4.7 or any other Gecko browser. I don't know what their problem is, actually, but it's starting to wear on me.

dakboy

Post Posted December 18th, 2002, 9:14 pm

jyost wrote:I called Citibank last night about this. They said in no uncertain terms that they had zero plans to support netscape beyond 4.7 or any other Gecko browser. I don't know what their problem is, actually, but it's starting to wear on me.
Sickening. Call them back and ask why. If they won't give a satisfactory answer, take your money elsewhere.

My company has an auto-login link on our website for our clients out to a third party (the company that actually administrates the accounts). We're supposed to be cutting over to their new system - actually it was due 12/5. But, due to testing problems mostly from their end, we delayed. In our conference call that week, I asked about browser support, as they only list NS 4.7 and IE 5.5 - they claim Netscape 6 and higher is "unstable" and do not support it. I didn't press the issue, but I really want to know where they got that idea from. NS 6.0 had some trouble but it's been good since then AFAIK.

We re-tested, and discovered that while the current site works fine with Netscape 6 and later Gecko browsers, the new one is broken. Badly. To the point where it's unusable. To intentionally take a step backward is sloppy. For the past year or more my company has been encouraging our users to upgrade to newer versions, and we aren't about to change that. People high up on my end have informed the other company that we won't be switching till they fix it. Not your regular type of evangelism but I'll take it :)

ccapeng

Post Posted December 24th, 2002, 9:29 am

jyost wrote:I called Citibank last night about this. They said in no uncertain terms that they had zero plans to support netscape beyond 4.7 or any other Gecko browser. I don't know what their problem is, actually, but it's starting to wear on me.

I wrote to Citibank about IE security hole.
And the feedback from Citibank :
-----------------------------------------
Thank you for your message regarding on-line security. The "hole" reported in the article you have provided is discussing how a server can take control of your browser. In know way are our serves set up to do this kind of manipulation. In regards to Netscape 7, yes this site is considered one of the top secured browsers and supports 128 bit encryption. As does Internet Explorer. Yet the major difference of Netscape 7, is it presents "many" security issues with our on-line service. For example, if you click on the sign-off button, the browser may not sign you off. There are several other issues regarding Netscape 6.x to 7 which concerns us in regards to our client's security on-line. Until Netscape resolves these issues, and yes we have contacted them, we will not support these browsers.

-----------------------------------------

Citibank wants Netscape to fix their problems.

old Neil Parks

Post Posted December 24th, 2002, 11:57 am

FWIW, the sites of Charter One Bank and MBNA credit cards work perfectly with Ph. 0.5.

Tell Citibank that if they don't wise up you'll find a more sensible bank.

Goldzilla

Post Posted December 24th, 2002, 4:46 pm

Why would you want to bank with this company that is involved in a whole bunch of scandals?

Can anyone tell me the pref to set the ID string and what the value is for Mozilla? I don't want to install UAPREF but would like to set it.

Gunnar

Post Posted December 30th, 2002, 7:15 am

Does anyone know if the claims made by Citibank are valid? It's not that I don' trust them, but...hey, wait, I don't trust them... :evil:
http://mozilla.gunnars.net - The Mozilla Help Site

jgraham

Post Posted December 30th, 2002, 8:39 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they were referring to netscape 6 era problems... although I don't know anything specific apparently banking with ns6 would have been a bad idea. Maybe since no one bothered to phone them up and tell them these problems were fixed, they assume they still exist. Otherwise, they might just be referring to the password manager (which can be disabled using autocomplete=off). I don't suppose pointing out other banks support ns7 /moz without any problems would help?

Of course, it *might* just be laziness on their part...

jyost

Post Posted January 24th, 2003, 4:47 pm

The problems with Citibank have been fixed. Per bugzilla, just go to citibank's home page and click "sign on." Find the link to "Sign On with a Citibank® Banking Card and PIN" and you'll get to the old Direct Access signin page. You'll have to reenter all of your citicard numbers, though.

I just tried it and the site works fine without altering the UA string.

johann_p

Post Posted January 25th, 2003, 1:32 am

Their webpages are a pitysome mess. I would not trust my money someone who is showing that much incompetence and as few care for the needs of their customers.

When I do their browser check they say they have "detected that my browser supports strong encryption", then when I press sign in they tell me my browser does not support strong encryption.

They simply suck.

Goldzilla

Post Posted January 25th, 2003, 8:30 am

Citigroup chairman ordered to give deposition in brokers' lawsuit
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/bu ... 024775.htm

WorldCom-Salomon ties prompt mass litigation
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xm ... ml?s=IDGNS

USA: The Ten Worst Corporations of 2002
http://www.corpwatch.org/news/PND.jsp?articleid=5208

Citigroup Net Down on Settlement Charges
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/reu ... 1_583.html

Return to Extension Development